Bandsaw table insert

I got a Delta 28-475x band saw a little while ago. Since it is winter, the garage is a little cold so I can't do as much wood working now as I want to. The question I have is do most people replace the metal table insert that comes with any bandsaw? The I received doesn't sit flush with the table top (up a little higher) so I was going to buy a phenolic one...not only for this reason but to create a zero-clearance insert. Has anyone used the ZC inserts or had problems with the 'stock' one not sitting flush with the table top?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

You could (gasp!) MAKE one.

Dave

Reply to
David

I've had the plastic ones in mine for years. Started with the thought, as you seem to have, that it would be a zero clearance. Then I found out that all the dust that used to fall through was now carried back upward. First time you tilt the table, you'll discover the width you want open in the one you use all the time. Have a zero available for narrow short work.

If your metal one is pretty good other than the thickness, you can clean the seat, make sure it doesn't rock, and lap the top.

Reply to
George

I made one from plywood with a little replacable hardboard insert. The original metal insert sat flush but I had an accident; I forgot to retension the blade it jumped ship and bit into the insert. I could care less about the insert but it trashed a pricey blade. The other reason was for zero clearance.

FWIW I shimmed to height with masking tape.

Just make one

Reply to
C&S

Most of the metal inserts I've seen are light, soft aluminum. They're easy to level with a belt sander, but after one managed to get snatched away, I took to wearing gloves to do that job. Turn the sander upside down, of course. The finest belt grit you have. Check frequently, because the stuff cuts FAST!

Reply to
Charles Self

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust