I need a swivel or bearing for a lazy susan style turntable.

The lazy susan bearing will tolerate some side force. I just don't think he will have a problem with it since the disk isn't that big or heavy. He said he had a 12" LS bearing. That should be massive overkill for his purposes.

Reply to
Hax Planx

That was my first choice, but I couldn't figure out how to attach the bearing to the table. You need a bit of the axle for the bearing seat.

I'll try the bearing even though LV said it was not a good choice.

Reply to
BlairR

I actually considered using the tire as well. Easy to spin. Unfortunately get the parts used and then welded is far out of my price range.

Reply to
BlairR

I can't find anything to solve my problem because I obviously don't know how to

horizontal.

One of these in your desired rating and a little modification and there you go. :)

Reply to
Ozoned

I've never seen a Lazy Susan that would handle side loads. They're a simple thrust bearing with pressed steel races. There's no sideways location of the two races, so any sideload tends to lift the upper race off the balls and then shift the two races relative to each other, jamming them.

It's not a good practice to put a sideload through any pure thrust thrust bearing,. But if you must do it, use one with deep races, not the cheapest of pressed races.

If you have space, the easiest solution is a car hub. They're enormously over-engineered for this task, so you can simply ignore the direction of the applied thrust.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

BlairR,

I may be missing a few appends to your posting, but I still do not have a picture of what you are trying to do.

You want to spin by hand, not turn, a 24" diameter, 4" thick MDF turntable located on your workbench. And you want it to spin this turntable with something unknown on it, at some unknown rpm for some unknown period of time.

Although I've seen a number of solutions offered, I submit to you that if you describe in some detail what you are trying to accomplish with your turntable, you will give the talented folks in this group a clearer picture of your problem and they will come up with workable ideas and maybe even the answer to your 'prayers.'

Jack

Reply to
John Flatley

I want to spin a heavy turntable 24" across. I want it to spin easily and for as long as possible while supporting about 100 pounds.

Replace the wheel and tire on a utility trailer, or a car or truck with a heavy table the same size as the tire turn it on edge so it is horizontal and give it the ability to sit in or on a work bench and it would work great.

I can get the hub, and the bearing. But getting the part the bearing sits in and fastening that to a work bench is beyond my ability and rather costly. I was hoping there was a product out there that would do this. I can find all kinds of shafts and bearings to spin a vertical disk like grinding stones but nothing that will support a horizontal disk.

Reply to
BlairR

Reply to
World Traveler

I thought of a bicycle wheel but I don't think it's strong enough. I thought a front tire off a motorcycle might be great using the disk brake as a flange to fasten the table. But I've never even seen a motorcycle wheel up close. I then to shy away from the greasy end of things, like cars and stuff.

Reply to
BlairR

Do you want to do this because spinning a heavy turntable 24" across supporting 100 pounds gives you a woody, or is there some higher purpose to it? In other words is spinning the turntable your ultimate goal or is the turntable a means to an end? If it's a means to an end perhaps if you described that end you might get more useful advice.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Does knowing what I plan to use it for give you a woody?

I want to be able to spin 100 pounds items on a 24" wide turntable that will spin freely as long as possible.

Reply to
BlairR

No, knowing what you plan to use it for helps me figure out what would be a suitable design. And designing things _does_ give me a woody.

If you went to an engineer and asked for an estimate on the cost to design such a thing, whatever he came up with would be at least doubled due to "lack of definition".

Are these items symmetric or asymmetric? Balanced or unbalanced? How many RPM do you want? Is most of the mass distributed in the center, around the rim, uniformly, or what? Will there be any lateral force applied to the object, if so how much lateral force? How long do you need to spin the object? Is there an objection to powering it this device? Is there any possibility that the object being spun will shift during operation? Have you given any thought to retention? Are you going to be performing cutting operations of any kind on the device being spun? Painting? Anything else? What's your budget for this? What do you have already that might be reused?

Is there a college near you? If so visit the library and find a book on machine design and read it through. Then perhaps you'll understand why you're being asked for more definition.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Tapered roller bearings, as you and others keep mentioning, are ideal. Buy trailer spindles and bearings from some place like Northern and use 'em.

Reply to
George

Very well put.

I grew to hate high tech and engineering because of sloppy problem definitions.

Nice/bad to see it wasn't only high tech that suffered from these problems.

Usually after I was awarded a job I would talk to the customer and say something along the lines of "OK now -- lets nail down all the specifics..." Then I would be told -- "you're the expert -- figure out what we want -- we don't have any more time to put into this". Then ..."Let us know when you have it working -- then we'll test it and tell you if we like it". Then "If it isn't up to standard you can fix it at your own cost cause you should'a been able to figure it out...".

Not all at once mind you -- just in dribs and drabs as it was revealed to you the pickle you'd got yourself into.

ROTFLMAO

Reply to
WillR

You can buy hub units that have the lug bolts on one side and a four bolt flange on the other allowing you to mount both sides - one to a base and the other to the turning table. Would this work for you?

Reply to
Tom

As many as humanly possible.

Both.

As much as you could apply with a stiff paint brush or rubber spatula.

Until I'm finished. The fewer times I have to spin it up the better.

Cost. I need this to spin 10-20 minutes once a day 4 days a week.

As I have stated, a wheel hub assembly off a motor vehicle or utility trailer would probably be perfect. Getting a suitable one has proven to be a problem. Not being a welder it's also expensive. I didn't expect or ask anyone to design anything. I was hoping there might be a bearing assembly 'off the shelf' that might do this. Like bearing assemblies for making your own grinders and sanding machines only one that supports a horizontal disk. If the product doesn't exist I'm back to finding a suitable wheel and hub off a motor vehicle.

Reply to
BlairR

Seems to me you are doing quite a dance to keep from saying exactly what you're going to use it for. Is it illegal? Or just embarrassing? Or are you just being obstinate?

Reply to
lgb

The four bolt flange on the other side has always eluded me in my search. I've spent hours on the net and at least an hour on the phone trying to find just that sort of thing. The problem is a communication problem. I don't know the terminology of what I'm asking for, or it's application.

Can you point me at one of these hub units on the net so I know what to ask for?

Reply to
BlairR

BlairR,

I along with several other folks have asked you for more information is various ways. Your apparent refusal to discuss your project in terms of objectives and to provide any meaningful detail suggests that you may be working on a project you want to patent. There may be another reason, but it escapes me.

I wish you luck in your search for a solution to your 'problem!'

Jack

If you are working on a patentable activity, you might consider enrolling in an Effective Communication 101 course at a local school to assist you with future projects.

Reply to
John Flatley

What do you need to know that I haven't answered several times?

Reply to
BlairR