I need a swivel or bearing for a lazy susan style turntable.

You're an idiot and a busybody, who has NO answers and no solutions. Typical of the depths to which most usenet groups, including this one has sunk.

How's that for communication moron.

Reply to
BlairR

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:02:14 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid spake:

With an attitude like that, you don't deserve any more help from any of us. Whadda maroon.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

None of you gave me any help you moron. I already had a solution. A hub from a utility trailer bolted to my work bench. I was looking for a 'ready to wear' more elegant solution in a bearing assembly. Something already out there. Lee Valley had already said a lazy susan bearing would not work but that didn't stop some of you from insisting they were wrong.

BTW you putz I hold 3 patents that have paid me over $12,000 dollars in the past ten years. Peanuts for sure but it isn't my job, it a result of always trying to make my hobbies more efficient. I'm a hobby woodworker and gardener, and full time computer tech, not a pretend engineer like some of you morons.

So piss off. I politely gave all the information needed to explain my problem. Then I was insulted because I wouldn't give you detailed plans of my end use. You don't need to know my end use to answer the question.

I have a welding shop attaching a flange to the axle stub of a utility trailer hub assembly right now. It is perfect for my needs, no thanks to this group of ignoramuses.

HAND

Reply to
BlairR

Reply to
George

on 4/11/2005 11:51 AM snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid said the following:

It's really a shame that some folks have to get testy like this when they toss out a plea for help to a group of "unknowns."

It's also a shame that when folks attempt to help them, take the time to "really get into the problem" in an effort to help are thwarted or, worse yet, ridiculed by the very person they sought to help simple because they 1) chose to share their personal experiences, 2) asked more questions so as to make an informed suggestion or 3) had the audacity to suggest that perhaps a clerk at a woodworking supply emporium - even one as well thought of as Lee Valley - MIGHT not be endowed with infallibility.

As for that, perhaps you gave Lee Valley more information than you gave us. Maybe you didn't ask them at all? I realize that the above information may have been "snipped" but I find it difficult to believe they would tell you it wouldn't work since they have a numnber of "lazy susan" devices that will handle up to 1,000 lbs and could be had in a size that would rival the size of the turntable itself albeit at a loss of capacity in that it would only hold 660 lbs.

I'm glad you found something perfect for your needs. Did it include a gift certificate to a Dale Carnegie Course or a class in effective writing?

Plonk!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

axle stub that can be bolted to my work bench. I will extend the table down using rings of MDF almost to the bench top. This will give me a heavy platform that will look like a big 24" round cake sitting on my bench. I may even decorate it to look like a cake.:) I would like to thank those who offered solutions without insulting me because I wouldn't provide them with an end use.

The end use is unique and as far as I know has never been attempted in a hobby shop. A similar device is used to craft products weight several tons however. That company also keep their process very secret.:)

However, anyone handy, should be able to appreciate how useful a simple heavy duty spinny table could be for all sorts of projects. I expect this turntable to see plenty of use in my shop.

Reply to
BlairR

A plea for help. LOL! Get real moron. Is that what this group has sunk to, a bunch of know nothings expecting people to kiss their ass to SHARE knowledge they don't have? I have graciously answered far more questions in this group over the years than I ever asked.

What a shame. There was a time when this group had decent knowledgeable people who enjoyed sharing their knowledge and EXPERIENCE. Not a bunch of power tripping bozos with only enough knowledge to be dangerous, and NO experience.

HAND

Reply to
BlairR

Who shared their personal experience? Name the poster who has built a table like this. You can't, because NO ONE shared their personal experience.

Several clueless individuals even suggested Lee Valley was wrong about their own product.

Your nym is perfect for you. You are confused, and I suspect you will always be that way.

Reply to
BlairR

on 4/11/2005 12:49 PM snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid said the following:

JOB?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Just curious, what patents do you hold?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cooper

I suspect THAT, unlike woodworking, is something you have countless hours of 'hands on' experience. I'll keep you email handy just in case I ever have any questions about 'jerking off' and need a professional opinion.

Reply to
BlairR

They are for ergonomic improvements to products used in the gardening industry.

Considering I've flamed several people in this group who obviously have more time than brains I can't provide more info than that. I don't need confused individuals on my doorstep.

I'm the type of person who drives 'experts' crazy because regardless of how many years it's 'been done that way' I'm always looking for a better way.

I use rare earth magnets to hold steel doors open and closed, everyone else uses hooks, doorstops and latches...because that's the way it's been done for years.

Reply to
BlairR

So one should assume that the 100 pounds will be a point mass at 12 inches from the center?

Since you don't say anything about a retention I'm assuming that you are simply going to lay this point mass on the rim of your platform and allow friction to hold it. If that is not a valid assumption then please describe the retention.

To a first approximation and in the absence of any information about the mating material, the coefficient of friction of of any wood, according to the Wood Handbook, may be assumed to be .3 as a lower bound. That means that a 30 pound force will move your 100 pound mass off the table. Using a safety factor of 1.5, which is a very low safety factor typical of aircraft design, and if I've run my numbers properly that translates to about 24 RPM. Is that fast enough? If not then there is no point going on with this until you provide either a number or more definition.

Then again one must assume a point mass at the rim and the above analysis applies.

If the rubber spatula that I just broke is a fair sample that's about 5 pounds.

And how long will that be?

Why didn't you just say that you needed it to spin 10-20 minutes in the first place? Is that so difficult?

Well, actually you did whether you realize it or not.

There probably is. Have you looked in the McMaster and Grainger catalogs? But with the information you've given it's difficult to tell which particular components would do the job for you.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Then there are the companies that have learned the hard way about lack of definition and overreact. I remember one fairly small job we did for Boeing (you could hold the part in one hand and it was all fabric) where we had to hire a guy to keep track of the spec revisions and clear out an office to hold it all--this was in the days before electronic distribution--the spec arrived on a pallet.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I canceled my order for a used hub with a plate welded on and ordered a nice new

6 bolt heavy duty unit from Princess Auto very like the northerntool unit. For some reason no one locally sells a hub of this type. I went for one that has a nice long axle stub that can be dropped into a 1 1/2 pipe that I'll build into a small steel work bench I have on wheels so I can use this outdoors as well. I may even put power to this puppy to get a nice steady 150 RPM.:)

Blair

Reply to
BlairR

The hundred pounds could be any size or shape, but I would only be spinning cylindrical items of course. I don't make anything over 100 pounds in one piece. I suspect my hub rated at 3600 pounds should be up to the job.:)

Reply to
BlairR

Here is how I would do it. I would drill 3" holes in all but the last (top) piece of MDF. Insert two or three common single row sealed ball bearings. Mount the shaft on a 12" square steel plate. Weld it or if no access to a welder, press and swedge fit. Add a spacer over the shaft to stop the disc from hitting the base and allow the shaft to reach all ball bearings without touching the top piece of MDF.

Mount/secure vertically and balance. Re-mount on bench and spin away.

Note: Bearing holes and shaft size are dependant on the size bearing you buy. Typ. Bearing this general size is $8. Graingers.

Dave

Teamcasa

Pretty funny actually. I have seen that too. Since I won't do gov't contracts anymore I don't see it very much. I did enjoy your story tho... LOL

Been in High Tech since 68 -- have never worked for a company that wasn't all electronic format (of some kind) on the specs and product definitions -- except clients. So I can't really relate personally -- but it's still funny.

Reply to
WillR

You've communicated yourself right into my bozo bin.

Reply to
lgb

The disc thrust bearing will hold all you need and more...they're quite common.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth