I need a swivel or bearing for a lazy susan style turntable.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:51:57 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid spake:

You gleaned no terminology from any of us, hmmm?

Then why did you post a request in the first place and then ungratiously bat down over a dozen tips?

Then you should have said so, y'think?

With that much load, they'd take a lot more lateral force than they would with a light load.

And I hold no patents but have made that much from my glare guards in the same amount of time. I'll bet your patents cost you the better part of that $12k, too.

That's "Technical GODs" to you, sir.

You're trying to leech free info from us to use to make more money? I see. Think anyone here will ever answer another of your requests?

Into the bit bucket you go, bubba. Ta!

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually no. I had a company partner who footed the bill. They have probably made 10 times what I have. It's hard to say. I might have made more money without them but I doubt it. They also market the stuff, in a very small but worldwide market. I didn't do it for the money. I never expected to even make any money. I was trying to improve the lives of field workers, and in a small way I did.

Reply to
BlairR

snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Browse through their online catalog. Lots of ways to do what you describe. The company is also very good to deal with (standard disclaimer, no affilitation).

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Boy, you're a real piece of work. My kitchen cabinets have magnets holding the doors closed- and they were built at least 50 years ago, judging from the hardware.

If everyone here is so very, very far below your *obviously* advanced ego... err... I mean intellect, perhaps you should go post elsewhere.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

You know, you'd have a lot more fun if you weren't spring-loaded in the pissed-off position.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I guess along with reasoning, reading isn't your strong suit.

Reply to
BlairR

Sure - give me a couple of days - I'm leaving town in a few minutes and will be back at the end of the week.

Reply to
Tom

John:

I'm curious -- what did you calculate as the side force on the bearing

-- worst case (edge load of 100lb. -- c.o.g. at platform level -- point mass -- 150 rpm -- 24" disk -- assuming no vibration due to imbalance i.e. simplest case).

You seem to be a mech. eng. my specialty is elsewhere -- so not sure I remember all the stuff I should take into account especially once I looked at a bit of vibration all bets seemed to be off :-) . (I had to grab one of my mech eng. books to remind myself of the factors... at least you can see electrons unlike this mechanical stuff. LOL)

I ask because my quick calculations gave me a higher figure than the rating of the hub suggested. Not sure there is any safety factor there, not even sure that the hub suggested is within "required" spec.

Thanks for the thoughts -- even if you don't reply... :-))

Reply to
WillR

I didn't. I took it as a point mass on the rim secured by friction with a 1.5 safety factor and got 24 RPM before it falls off and stopped there until I got confirmation that 24 RPM was sufficient. That was giving 20 pounds lateral load, friction-limited, neglecting any unbalance in the table itself--I didn't look at the moment.

It's been so long since I've actually done ME (computers bit me hard) that I'd have to dig out the references before I got much deeper into this.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You mean like the ones you've been able to buy for Oh, maybe 30-40 years? I installed a bunch of those back in '78 or '79. The also used electromagnetic hold-open latches on the fire doors that were tied to the heat detectors. As soon as the temp rose all the fire doors would close.

Just for the books, sometimes a hook or latch is better than a magnet, they can hold against a direct pull and require a more specific action to disengage them. Sometimes that is an advantage. Door stops also have advantages - can a magnet hold the door open half way? Oh, don't forget cost as well. Engineering involves a lot more than just determining if something works.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Thanks. I just had a cursory look - but at 150 RPM (since he had mentioned a motor and 150 RPM in another post) I was a little surprised at the force on the bearing -- assuming the load was constrained and didn't fall off... LOL

A little flexing or vibration and it could get interesting. :-)

I had pulled out my ME text and that's why I asked.

Anyway. Not our problem. And not my field.

Best wishes...

Reply to
WillR

You can use a router with circle cutter jig and a round nose bit to cut a rounded bottom circular channel in the top and bottom MDF. Fill channel with marbles. I had made one of these using 3/4" plywood approx. 30" diameter with channel at 24". Can't see why MDF wouldn't work for you. Don't remember MDF being available when I made that top 20 years ago This was a TV rotator. (I use for about 8 years never a problem and very little force needed to turn about 100 lbs. (you could even get the marbles at a $1 store.) This whole project should do the trick and its pretty cheap too. Good luck.

Reply to
Derrick

What a bunch of fools. Maximum weight 100, Maximum RPM 150.

At no time did I mention spinning 100 pounds at 150 RPM. Or that any of that weight would be anywhere near the edge of the table. Or that the weight was a single solid object. Even if I did spin a hundred pounds at 250 RPM the worst that would happen is there would be a big mess.

I'm out of this thread. I had enough laughs for this week.

Reply to
BlairR

I put 3 casters on a 24" disk and used a center bearing to fix it horizontally. We could turn a 20 gallon plant in the window of a store with a clock motor.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nor did you not.

Nor did you not.

Hopefully in your lap. :-)

And at no time did we ask you to comment or suggest we were talking about your machine. So buzz off.

Laughs it was -- but no sense. :-)

Well that was the point wasn't it? That people who gave advice would look like fools if they could not figure out the conditions under which the parts would run -- and hence had to assume worst case. Unless you stated all the specs together.

You said you did not know how to explain yourself -- and clearly you were correct on that much. As for the rest -- good luck with all your frankenmachines.

..and that is why it is dangerous to give advice in this group unless people can lay out clearly what they wanted to know, and what help was needed and under what conditions.

By responding you helped me make my point.

Thanks for playing and good luck -- one fool to another.

Reply to
WillR