Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

Page 8 of 11

It's *EASY*.
You just dive in, and start reciting poetry! (underwater, that is :)
No, i'm not going to explain sub-verse-ive.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Apr 16, 11:48 am, "Lee Michaels"

LOL...I have made some facsimiles of furniture and stuff. I own a hand plane and a scorp, not to mention an adz. I have created adztech.

It *is* indeed Morris' fault. Absolutely. I will be forever grateful for his subversiveness. Sometimes I need a nudge. I was always cnc- curious. Damned machines made way too much sense but were boat-loads of money when I last looked at them. Those machines were always a proposition that included fully booked work schedules, trained staff and very expensive software. Now they make sense on a more one-off custom level.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/VV2part.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robatoy" wrote
LOL...I have made some facsimiles of furniture and stuff. I own a hand plane and a scorp, not to mention an adz. I have created adztech.
==I just can't help myself.
Adztech, eh?
Have you made an adztech calendar?
<ouch>
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Apr 16, 12:37 pm, "Lee Michaels"

I have.
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/MayanCalender.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–

I agree that subtraction, GENERALLY, "*is* adding the negative".
Now go back and read what _this_ machine actually did. <grin>
I repeat, this multi-million-dollar super-computer "couldn't ADD".
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:58:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Not generally. That is one way to do it, but certainly not the only way. Hardware subtraction is no more difficult than addition. They're really the same logic (twisted, but really the same).

There have been many such things talked about here. Specifically, the IBM 1620, knows as the CADET, had a table look-up for addition. It couldn't subtract, either.

The 1620 wasn't a "multi-million-dollar super-computer". It was, in fact, rather mundane. That's the reason it couldn't add - they didn't want to spend money on an adder. Note that it had no subtractor, either.
Add pictures here
βœ–

*trim*
Well that's completely different! Using a look up table for addition... And apparently an extensive one if my 10 second internet search is worth anything.
Puckdropper

βœ–
On Apr 14, 11:05 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Huh?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Depends on what you mean by 'extensive' it was a 'decimal' (although the actual 'base' it used for arithmetic operations was programmable!) machine, so it only needed 100 (2-digit) entries for a 1-digit x 1-digit table (base 10). 1x2 would have required 1000 (3-digit) entires, and 2x2 would have needed 1000 4-digit entires. As the smallest machines had only 20,000 'digits' of storage, it is clear that the look-up table was a 1x1 matrix (200 digits total). subtract, and multiply, were also performed using separate look-up tables.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Then there was the 360/75 with no microcode.

Must have been a first. The /360 was announced in '64. I didn't use the /75 until '67 (I was a Junior in high school ;).
Add pictures here
βœ–

It was an IBM punch card I/O Fortran IBM machine we used in college in '64 - can't remember the IBM model number.
Akshooly, it was '66 when I went to work for IBM and went to 360 OS school in Endicott (DOS), and then Poughkeepsie (OS). Classrooms full of ashtrays and smoke so thick, you could barely see the blackboard and the instructor with his [bad] hairpiece. Cigs were $0.35 a pack in the vending machines in the hallways with 2 cents taped to each pack making them $0.33.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh..MAN!! Do I remember my days at U of Waterloo (yes, home of the Blackberry) I had a prof who smoked the best part of a pack of Gauloises in a single session. Brilliant guy (all about dithering pcm) but he wore a tweed jacket and stank....and I mean STANK.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh..MAN!! Do I remember my days at U of Waterloo (yes, home of the Blackberry) I had a prof who smoked the best part of a pack of Gauloises in a single session. Brilliant guy (all about dithering pcm) but he wore a tweed jacket and stank....and I mean STANK.
Ever on the Paris Metro in the 60's?? We're talking STINK. Galois, stale wine and BO! Galois, BTW, were real Lung Busters.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Somebody wrote:

------------------------------------------- To put that in a little perspective, one of my first jobs was in a cigar/sporting goods store in the early 50's.
One of my jobs was to pick up the tobacco order from the wholesale house around the corner.
Wholesale cost for cigarettes was $1.98/carton for Pall Mall and $1.96/carton for all other brands.
Sold for $0.25/pack or $1.95/carton across the counter.
Kept trying to raise the carton price to $2.05, but it didn't stick.
Vending machine price was also $0.25/pack.
55+ years have brought a few changes, thankfully.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/12/2010 12:23 AM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Hmm - sounds like my favorite old machine: an IBM-1130. If so, you probably had a 1442 card reader/punch and an 1132 [POS!] printer to go with.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Wasn't the 1442 a prototype for the office paper shredder?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

The original personal computer. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Y'know, there may be more truth to that than anyone suspects. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Lots of Beamers around these parts. I feel like the kid listening to the old war stories (started in P'ok in '74, moved to BTV in '93, and retired in '06). ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–