Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

Page 2 of 11
Bill wrote:

I've been reading James Krenov's book, "A Cabinet Makers Notebook". I just finished the first chapter on "Wood". He gives the reader plenty of opportunity to "learn something"! : )
During my own reflection I observed that the beauty of using tools is in using them well. They sing their own song (but please don't tell anyone I said that)!
I can solder a good joint too (ya gotta make it flow, baby flow!--my shop teacher sang that alot).
Lew always says to "have fun"...I think I'm right on track!
Bill

I'll get roasted for this, but it seems to me Krenov made a career out of one medicine cabinet. A very nice cabinet and one I wish I'd done, but the same one over and over. Variations on a theme. Same as some authors, James Patterson comes to mind, write the same book over and over.
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 01:35:05 -0700, the infamous "LDosser"

To be sure. Openly taunting the Gods of Woodworking like that can get you into big trouble, too, Lob. RIP, my friend.

I think the cabinet was his principle incarnate, and that's what made him famous. People love it, and that's why his books became widely read. Yes, lovely cabinet, and I,too, wish I'd created it, but it wouldn't fit in my house style or lifestyle. David Marks puts out such a wide variety of articles that I could definitely see some of his stuff in my home...whenever I get off my arse and clean my shop. I have copies of some of his plans from when he first released them. I followed his TV program from start to finish. He's my hero. (You can keep your flannel-shirted Norms and polying Dresdners, TYVM.)
Do you feel that Maloof was a one-rocker pony, too? <nomex=ON>

Never having read him, I Amazoned his work and see that he may be a 3-trick pony. Alex Cross, Woman's Murder Club, and Maximum Ride. Or are they all riding the same pony?
-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

FWIW, it was Krenov's book, "The Fine Art of Cabinet Making" that I was referring too. I've got them both on my "current reading" shelf and sometimes I alternate. In case anyone is would like to know, something that makes these books special is the Reverence with which he wrote about his craft. He also wrote with a sadness about the market for truly finely made furniture. He was a very thoughtful worker of wood.
Bill
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:48:57 -0400, the infamous Bill

You can buy a copy for only about a grand on Amazon right now. <thud> http://fwd4.me/LRn -no- indication that they might be signed. Don't you hate blatant opportunists? These same 3 guys probably sold bottled water for $25 a pint after Katrina.
-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

A fair deal is when both buyer and seller agree on a price. Amazon only shows the seller's side. They won't get any bites at that price.
There's a considerable difference between a non-essential book and the substance of life (h2o).
I'd take $900+ for my copy of 'The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking' if anyone offers ...
scott
On 13 Apr 2010 20:38:49 GMT, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) scrawled the following:

Especially when other copies are available from the same page for $17 and change. <g>

Are you saying that these three sellers are _not_ sleazes, trying to take advantage of Krenov's recent passing?

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

I'll see your Krenov and raise you a Nakashima.
said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Hmmm... "The Soul of a Tree". Looks like a book that should make it to my reading list someday... What does he teach? No, seriously!
Bill

Worse yet, Patterson now just sketches out the plot and has someone else do the writing. Of course, Norman Rockwell's later work was completed by studio assistants... Maybe like another Norm's never-seen shop assistants, eh?

Now he does that. And the writers get their names on the cover.

Few creative artists stray from an established theme. It is the core of their creativity and they will strive to 'better' that core, offer variations, but mostly their art will have identity of some sort. A Moore sculpture is relatively easy to identify. Many painters have a 'style' (some even call theirs 'De Stijl'.) Krenov had a style. Van Gogh had a style and to have the nerve to say that he did the same painting over and over will get you shot at dawn.
How many careers revolve around One Hit? (Now they call them a 'signature song'.)
They're milking it, folks! Wouldn't you?
Robatoy wrote:

One could probably find a more respectful way to describe what is going on. You're basically casting a black shadow over All Artists...
Bill
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:02:04 -0400, the infamous Bill

A thorn, by any other name...? <titter)
-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

There are waaaay too many people who call themselves artists. They do all the casting of the black shadows all by themselves.
Robatoy wrote:

To which "waaay too many people" are you referring, and what black shadows are they casting? Let's nail down who you're PO'ed about! : )
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:39:53 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy

3 off the top: What you don't like that Meg Belichick was paid $4k for her work "mudflap", which consisted of used rectangular rubber sheets and some bailing wire? You don't consider scat to be art? And handing out $5 bills to passersby isn't considered performance art? What's wrong with you, Toy?
All I can say is http://www.poopreport.com/BMnewswire/complex_shit.html
-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

What colour was it? Makes a difference in price.

Meh... you seen one pile of shit, you've seen them all.

FIVE bucks only? What a cheap-ass.

I would like to know what compelled you enter ANY word in your search engine that took you to that link?

What colour was it? Makes a difference in price.

Meh... you seen one pile of shit, you've seen them all.

Where and When?
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:08:30 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy

Black rubber with steel wire, $4,000 "art" http://fwd4.me/Lay
http://fwd4.me/Law Here's one with chrome and everything for only $16.99.
"Art" has a 2354.326% markup? Gimme a break.

Proving a point about "artists" is all you need to know.
--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!