Crown moulding on 12/12 pitch cathedral ceiling

I am buildig an entertainment center up against a cathedral ceiling. The pitch is a 12/12 or 45 degree. When I try to use a piece of crown at the top the back of the moulding just lays on the 45 degree ceiling because the angle of the sprung crown is the same as the ceiling pitch.

Any clues? Do they sell crowns that are cut at a different angle?

Reply to
Stephen Maye

what's the problem with the crown being tight to the ceiling?

Reply to
bridger

it ISN'T tight to the ceiling. the bevel on the back of the molding doesn't match the angle needed. I have the same issue in my house. I was gonna install molding and decided it was too much of a PITA to shave the bevel down, so I returned the molding for a refund. Some things are just more hassle than I'm willing to put up with.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in news:uc3oe013e1etrb0bhv8ml53g0tasucejtf@

4ax.com:

Here is what you do. You make a filler strip to fill the gap between the crown mouling and the ceiling.

1) rip some square stock at the same angle as the ceiling. 2x2 will probably do. 2) Nail that up to the Ceiling. Spaced away from the roof/wall joint as far as needed so that when you put the crown mouling agaist the wall it goes up to the piece you added.

It will make the crown moulding look a little bigger. A good thing for cathedral ceilings.

Reply to
Joe Willmann