Never saw another like it

Just got the Craftsman 22124 yesterday. Walked it off the tailgate of my pissant (S10) pick up and then noticed scraped metal on the gate. Once I got the cardboard off the saw, I discovered a square steel tubing welded frame around the entire saw. The legs scraped my tailgate. The extensions were packed in 2" + styrofoam, and the motor had a thick, fitted styrofoam cover. Add that to the overall strength of the cast iron trunnions on this machine, and I doubt many will be delivered with cracked trunnions. Or much of anything else.

Unwieldy to get off without scratching the saw, but a great idea.

Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Reply to
Charlie Self

Did a stint in a manufacturing setup and had a chance to chat with some Packaging Engineers. Quite a science they've got there. Solid grounding in Physics *and* accounting to balance all of the costs.

Always wondered why Griz and Delta and apparently feel that returns are cheaper than packaging.

Reply to
patrick conroy

DIYGUY asks:

Ayup. Its only fault, maybe.

Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
DIYGUY

Charlie,

Is this one you're doing a review on or one you purchased for your shop?

Bob S.

Reply to
none

Bob S. asks:

It's for a review, for Woodworker's Journal electronic newsletter.

The Craftsman haters are going to hate the review.

Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Reply to
Charlie Self

Ya think....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
none

Bean counters have ruined many a product / company, and enlightened leadership / management can turn it around. I have no objection to Craftsman improving their quality. I look forward to your review.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Where can one subscribe to the Woodworker's Journal electronic newsletter.

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Pilhoefer

snipped-for-privacy@reply.woodworkersjournal.com

or to see archives

is the best general newsletter going for woodworkers, IMO. Rob uses just about every source possible to come up with useful information.

Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Reply to
Charlie Self

That address bounced

550 5.1.2 ... Host unknown (Name server: xtinmail1.exacttarget.com.: host not found) but
works Joe
Reply to
Joe Gorman

Yeah - look at the bright side: I don't have to change my opinion of Craftsman. I grew up when they made good stuff. If they slip quality stuff back in while I'm not looking, all the better.

Kind'a like Jeep: CJ -> YJ -> TJ.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Charlie:

Any plans by you/them to review the Saw Stop? based on all of threads all over the Forumns it would be very popular. I was in a Sears Hardware store the day before last and they did not have them on the floor. I'd be anxious to see your writeup. Is there any comaprison to the Dewalt?

Regards Rich

Reply to
RKON

Rich asks:

AFAIK, there are NO review samples of Sawstop saws. You are not going to see them on the floor at Sears or any other retailer until they get past the pre-order stage, a point at which they've been stuck for at least two years now. When the time comes, I'd love to review one, but I'll do the same testing Sawstop has done--much prefer sticking a Nathan's product in that blade rather than my finger. The review would have to include setting the thing off, of course. Then figure out how much hassle it is to replace the cartridge and check to see how much damage it did to the rest of the saw.

If you mean you didn't see the new Craftsman 22124 saws on the floor, I've got a feeling they're a bit thin on the ground right. Introduction was only a little over a month ago. If, as I suspect, acceptance is high, it's going to be hard to keep them in stock.

I have used the DeWalt hybrid, but haven't yet take it apart--or for that matter, assembled one--so all I can say is that I like the fence on the Craftsman a LOT better. Of course, it's a Biesemeyer commercial 30", so...but DW does offer a sliding table, which, at this point, Craftsman does not.

I'm interested in seeing how this hybrid saw tune plays out over the next six months or year. There should be some response from both Jet and DeWalt as to changes in their saws to justify the cost--very close to that of the new Craftsman.

Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Reply to
Charlie Self

sawstop is reviewed (sorta) in the latest fine woodworking.

Reply to
bridger

As I SuperSaw buyer, I too looked at the specs of the new Craftsman. The 1

3/4 horse lines up w/ the hybrids. But is the main difference in the trunions? The Craftsman being more "cabinet-ish" and the hybrids more "contractor-esque"?
Reply to
patrick conroy

FWIW, for those in the Hartford, CT area, there's one on display at the Sears in the Enfield Mall.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Patrick Conroy asks:

I think so, but as I said earlier, I have not examined the Jet and DeWalt saws very closely, so I do NOT know for sure. I don't think either of the others has the trunnions mounted on the cabinet, nor do I think they have cast iron trunnions. But that's an impression, not a fact.

Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'm too stupid^H^H^H^H^H^Hnew to know a trunnion from a mullion - but as I said, I've got the Jet hybrid. If you need me to send you some digital pix of the innards, let me know and I'd be happy to.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Patrick Conroy notes:

That would be great. Drop the notforme from my email address.

Take your time, though. I'm up to my ears at the moment. Still suffering from moving two weeks ago--in that the house is overfull, the shop is a mess, I just got a new camera I'm trying to get used to, trying to get things in shape to make the house livable and the shop usable, trying to get the youngest kid to clear her unused things out what will be my new office, clear out the spare bedroom in case anyone is ever crazy enough to visit and more fun stuff.

I will NOT move again. At least not this year.