Craftsman tablesaw...that bad?

Page 3 of 3

Nah, they're cool. Public broadcasting :)
--

"A.J. Hamler" <AJ snipped-for-privacy@WoodcraftMagazine.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
*whew* For a minute there, I thought they might be call-in talk show hosts.
A.J.
bob wrote:

<<*whew* For a minute there, I thought they might be call-in talk show hosts.>>
That's pretty far down the evolutionary scale (at least in places where the talk show audience believes in evolution). Almost as low as disk jockeys. <g>
Lee

Lee Gordon wrote: ...

No, they <both> almost invariably look foolish (and waste time in the process)...
<< (me:) Of course there are always exceptions and one instance where this "rule"

(you:) No, they <both> almost invariably look foolish (and waste time in the process)... >>
I never meant to imply that they were successful.
Lee

I would agree with a few others that the price is inflated. I'm not even sure about that particular saw, but if it's a direct drive I'd stay away from it. If its a real contractor's saw, and you can get it for $300 then maybe its OK. I've used a Craftsman 113 series (Emerson USA Built) for the past 30 years since new and they don't build them like that any more. Replaced with a Unisaw... what else.

bob wrote:

Sears Canada is notorious for inflated list prices so they can have big "sales" every week. I've found the clerks in their tool department to be forthcoming about when particular items will go on sale, and what the price will be. You can probably find out what the lowest sale price for this saw is by asking. I suspect that it will fall around C$500. The sears.ca site doesn't show the store sale prices.
A friend and his wife were shopping for a stove at a Sears Outlet store. They found one they liked, but the pot drawer on the bottom stuck. They called over a manager and negotiated about a 40% extra discount. Turned out to be bent sheet metal around the drawer slide that Don bent back with his fingers. So, their managers can deal for an interested customer. Knowing the best store sale price on that saw can get you some leverage at the outlet store. Pointing out any defects may get you more.
The older Sears contractor saws were pretty reasonable -- obviously not as good as a cabinet saw, but far better than a benchtop saw. The newer saws have a different manufacturer, but look to me to be more or less clones of the older ones. The fence, however, is a dramatic improvement over the old fences. Contractor saws are probably all made in China anymore, so there may not be much to differentiate one brand from another as far as the saw goes. After sale service is going to be the big issue. Sears does a good job with that.
Good luck,
Tim

It look a lot like the 315.228390 that I bought about a year or so ago on a closeout sale here in the states. The one I got has a cast iron extension wing that holds a router and a great set of wheels that I can easily move it out on the driveway with. The only thing I didn't like was the plastic tilt and elevation adjust wheels which I immediately replaced with the $19.95 cast aluminum wheels which Sears just happened to have on hand, the jerks knew the plastic wheels were junk and that I would cough up another $20. I have no regrets, great saw for the money. RM~

I forgot to mention that the above saw replaced a 35+ year old Craftsman (made by Emerson) that was still working great. I wanted the wheels so I could get it in and out of the garage. My son got the old saw. RM~
I rigged casters on one end of the stand for the BT3000 for mobility. Did same thing for the Delta 46-700 lathe.

I considered that option but changed my mind in a hurry when I figured out this was a belt drive saw/ with cast iron extension/router table and an awesome wheel/caster setup that retailed for almost $800 and they were closing it out for $449 which I also got to deduct my Craftsman Club and Sears retiree discounts bringing my total down to $360. I didn't take me but 30 seconds to figure out that my son really needed my old saw <grin>. No one who has seen the saw can believe that I got it for what I did. This saw was made by Ryobi but the construction is real similar to my old Emerson made Craftsman. Incidentally, I had modified the old fence so that the rear of the fence rode on a ball bearing caster instead of the nylon glide, it worked great as long as I kept the bearing clean and oiled. RM~
PS, I think this closeout was due to Sears and Ryobi splitting the sheets. I also suspect that closeout saw in Canada to also be made by Ryobi.
I've had one very similar for about 18 months. No problems so far. Bought it on sale at a Sears store in Calif for $400 US$. I think it's now a discontinued model.
--Steve