cfls again what are you guys smoking?

Page 2 of 3

Sorry, My bad, I was thinking along the lines of motor related problems. Voltage decreases causes amperage to go up. Plus I was thinking A/C Not DC.
That said, any bad resistance connection in a J-box, circuit breaker or anywhere. If they show signs of heat then that is a load generated that the power meter reads. In some cases a minute load, yet its a load.
A poor connection before an incandescent will lower the light and the wattage consumed by the lamp. (as you said)
I should rewrite the stuff below, but I am going to snip it instead. If it was understood in light of what I just wrote it would be correct.
<snip>

First time I've heard that. The CFL in our laundry room is in a ceiling fixture (the white porcelain w/chain sort). The last couple have lasted fine for 4-5 years in that orientation.
--
Drew Lawson
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested
snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) wrote in writes:

I remember reading that on a package somewhere. I just checked the Feit Electric Ecobulb Softwhite CFL package and it did not say anything about orientation.
I happened to have the package handy because I had one burn out. I'm getting 8-10 hours of use a day, and they're lasting 2-4 years. Not bad at all.
Puckdropper
On 1/8/2016 9:07 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Perhaps an early old style problem, like burn-in on a monitor used to be. I only witnessed this on come old monochrome monitors at work 20~30 years ago. They had the same screen displayed 95% of the time. If you changed the screen you could easily see the burn-in. LCD and the like these days, not so much.
I have a CFL Par 40 bulb facing down on my front porch. It has been burning 24/365 for the last 5 years with only a hand full of times it may have been briefly turned off. I will say that its mate, about 6 feet away, has had spotty performance. It will not always turn back on after being turned off. I need to replace that one...

Correct. It doesn't make economic sense to replace a *working* CFL with an LED. There's not enough electricity savings to make up for the cost difference.
On 1/7/2016 10:27 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Questions" suggests that these might be in a few stores, but are otherwise unavailable.
On 1/7/2016 10:27 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Interesting. The HD near me only had the eco line.
This tells me that the other HD near my office has this line. I'll see if they are there tonight on the way out of here.
--
Jeff

If there is a Frys near you they might still have the 60 watt equivalent for around 2.50 per bulb.
I replaced all the lights in a chandelier and instead of replacing bulbs in it every few months I have not had one failure in over 9 months.
says...

Where are you located? Zip code for nearest major city will suffice.
On 1/9/2016 5:22 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

08867
--
Jeff

$2 each http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-60W-Equivalent-Warm-White-A19-LED-Light-Bulb-6-Pack-A800-830-10KLED-6-48/206397936
00 IN STOCK 244 Highway 202, Flemington, NJ 8822 | (908)782-2577
39 IN STOCK 1209 Us Highway 22, Phillipsburg, NJ 8865 | (908)213-0403
73 IN STOCK 2045 State Route 57, Hackettstown, NJ 7840 | (908)684-1822
232 IN STOCK 3926 Nazareth Pike, Bethlehem, PA 18020 | (610)882-0252
202 IN STOCK 400 Promenade Blvd, Bridgewater, NJ 8807 | (732)469-5883
284 IN STOCK 4095 Us Hwy 1, Monmouth Junction, NJ 8852 | (732)438-5980
snipped-for-privacy@newsgroup.pls says...

Your home-depot-fu is stronger than mine.
On 1/9/2016 12:34 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Yea I saw that pburg had, I was going to stop in yesterday but forgot. Flemington had nothing but those eco's Everything else is not worth traveling for. if it's not convienent, its not worth it.
--
Jeff

says...

Looks like New Jersey isn't doing the same kind of subsidies as CT, but HD is listing Phillips 60s at $3.97 for soft white and a buck more for daylight. Bridgewater has 3-packs of GE for 10.97 and 8-packs for 24.97. When you go in the store you may find additional products that are not listed on the Web site.
By the way, watch out for the word "eco" in the name or description-- there are now bulbs sold as "eco-incandescent" that seem to be conventional halogen bulbs in oversized outer enclosures that are being sold for LED prices.
On 1/9/2016 12:49 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

that was so ridiculous.
--
Jeff

I went to the nearby Costco yesterday to pick up some more LED Shop lights as I'd bought back in the late summer.
Feit brand, two "bulb" 4' plug in with pull switch. $29.99 each Feit #917972. This is about $27 cheaper than offered on Amazon Prime.
It's a great unit that really throws the light and is instant on to full brightness (as you'd expect) even in very cold weather.
When I bought them in the summer, the price was right around $37.
On 1/7/16 7:24 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Costco, 3-pack LED bulbs, 60W equiv. $14.99 with $8 rebate applied at checkout.
-BR
On 1/9/2016 11:03 AM, Brewster wrote:

No costcos around here. They are building one in Flemington, but thats been 2 years because of issues they needed to mitigate.
--
Jeff