Re: Crappy CFLs, again

In message , Huge writes

remind me again how marvellous these pieces of crap are, and how >they're going to save the planet?

I'm surprised that there has been no co-ordinated legal challenge wrt the non-fitness for purpose of these things.

I've been wondering, about the ones here that flood (irony) the room with a deathly green light, what radiation is coming off these things. If 11, 16 or 20 watts is going in, the lamp doesn't get hot and produces so little light, where is the power going?

Reply to
Bill

I have replaced three 75watt incandescents with three General Electric CFLs from Tesco. In all honesty, I cannot tell the difference between new and old once they have warmed up. My gripe is that they take over ten minutes to get there and for the first two or three minutes it is too dark even to be able to read anything. Slow doesn't come into it. In an emergency they would be an absolute hazard.

Reply to
Keith W

Ahh to be sure it's just an optical illusion. They're brighter than they ever were, always start instantaneously, require no warm up, and don't deteriorate with a few months service. Gordon Brown is a "Great" politician and the release of al - Megrahi was *Not his fault* and

*Nothing whatsoever to do with him* , it was all the fault of "Them there Scots".

Easy, you use them to build a Zoroastrian Temple in the garden, and the whole family gathers round to pray to the Supreme God -

Ahura Mazda.

Well, it's as good as anything Nu-slavver have to offer.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The best I have found so far are the Osram Duluxstar ones from Screwfix. Note that's "best of bunch" not "excellent".

There is little point (like a previous poster) reducing the argument to absurdities as this just weakens the case against them. They do not emit a deathly green light and, although they may not quite reach the equivalents posted, a 21W Duluxstar gets close to the equivalent stated. If you downgrade the equivalents posted by 1 (ie for 60W get a 100W equivalent, for

40W a 60W equivalent and get the biggest you can find for a 100W equivakent) they are fine after being on for a minute and the best are OK-ish after a few seconds (and the power does come out as light!). The worst of the bunch (usually from supermarkets) are criminally dim to start with, agreed.
Reply to
Bob Mannix

Nothing changes really.

Graham.

Oh and look, The original CFL!

Graham.

Into heat, you just don't understand the difference between 100W and

11W/20W.
Reply to
dennis

Isn't that the Star Wars Lightsabre?

Reply to
Adrian C

The big problem with arguments about colour rendition is that people obviously don't all see the same things when looking at them. This is probably sue to variation in response of their eyes at different frequencies. Continuous spectrum lamps may hide this effect far better than ones with discrete spikes and gaps as found with many CFLs. Looking at some of the variations can be quite interesting:

factor is that as we age our eye loose sensitivity as the shorter wavelengths (the lens becomes more absorbent in these areas) resulting in less blue perception and a stronger yellow / green cast.

With a light source that has a fairly smooth distribution of intensities across the spectrum this, will be perceived as a slight yellowing of the image. If however the light source achieves it's white balance with a big spike in a narrow range of blue colours, and that happens to be in a range the eye has become less sensitive to, one may perceive a dramatic shift of the overall light colour to a green / yellow balance.

Reply to
John Rumm

We had one of those netaline flourescent 1950 lights still fitted in our kitchen when we moved in last July. Ugly thing.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Brilliant

I removed one of those last year during a rewire. The customer eBayed it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So far I've been lucky I guess - and avoided some dodgey makes. The Philips that were pence each from Morrisons last year are bright, come on a reasonable level (for 15W up and I like the 11W by my bed as it's not to sudden) and the Philips that I've had for several years are still good.

ProLite were crap though and most 'daylight' lamps on t'net seem to be those.

Reply to
PeterC

Grimsby.

Reply to