What do you guys shave with?

Just curious as I've changed over the years and so have blades.

When I first started shaving Gillette came out with the Super Blue blades, then stainless steel then double blades, etc. Each time was a bit better. Many of us here probably grew up with the Friday night fights.

Tried an electric years ago but did not like it.

For may years I used mostly the latest version of Gillette and occasionally Schick with decent results. A couple of years ago I tried a Defender brand. Liked it and like the suction cup mount as I shave in the shower.

Then my daughter gave me a travel kit and it had a Harry's razor and shave gel in it. Best shave ever. Very smooth and the gel you need very little to cover your beard.

I don't have a really heavy and a blade last a couple of weeks for me. If you are still using the same brand for decades, give Defender or Harry's a try.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been pretty happy with Schick Xtreme3 triple blade disposables.

Bought a bag of 20+4 bonus at Sam's Club a good while back for something under 20 bucks. Being retired, I don't shave every day anymore so they last quite a while.

I get the best mileage and shaves using a two razor rotation-- a fresh one on my sensitive and cut-prone upper lip and chin and an older one retired from lip/chin service on the much less demanding cheeks and neck areas.

When that one get tired, it goes in the trash, the chin razor gets demoted to cheek duty and I take a new razor out of the pack. I tell them apart by slipping a tiny rubber band on the new one's handle.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Years ago I used the Wilkins Sword blades. About a year ago the blades I had been using (Gillette) were not in stock I tried Harries and use them now. My beard is tough so blades do not last too long.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Shave?

Reply to
rbowman

Which razor does Lia Thomas use on his vagina? A Gillette Fusion or a Gillette Venus?

Reply to
Randy Patzkowski

When I went on blood thinners over twenty years ago I stopped shaving with a blade and use a Norelco rotary. It does an adequate job but not as close as a blade. I have another cheap Remington screen razor that does a much better job but use it seldom as if it misses a hair that grows for a couple of days it will not get it.

I do not need to shave all the time now but shaving takes less time then brushing my teeth. I also went through the beard, goatee and mustache phases but found I would have to spend more time grooming than just shaving.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You'll get a closer, less irritating, and shorter duration shave with any electric (and I've used both screen and rotary razors) if you use a pre-electric, such as Williams Lectric Shave. You don't even need to use a lot. I use a lot more after shave than pre-shave and a bottle of each still lasts me almost a year. Also, before you start applying the pre-electric, make sure your face is as dry as possible. I used to brush my teeth before shaving but found that shaving first starts me with drier skin and an easier shave.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I quit shaving over 30 years ago ... nowadays I just trim off the rough edges with a pair of scissors occasionally .

Reply to
Snag

Never had a problem with skin irritation but may give it a try.

My current razor is maybe over two years old and I believe they recommend a new head after a year but I have never done that. I have a corded Norelco but prefer those with batteries and just toss them when batteries go.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Cartoon I saw this am:

invalid unparseable

Seems like manscaping is becoming popular according to one TV ad. As is shaving the beaver. You can even get laser treatment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been using the same Phillips Norelco AT810 since 2017. Haven't changed the heads yet and still get a good shave. One charge lasts me about one month, takes only about 1 hr from full discharge to full charge, and comes with a small, lightweight dual voltage power adapter. Also, it's much quieter than the old Norelco corded razors. The flip up trimmer is very sharp and great for sideburns, eyebrows, hair over-hanging the ears etc. I see the model has been updated to: Series

4000 Shaver 4100 AT810/81 at one of the big box stores for $60.
Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I've never understood why beaver. I can see taco or camel toe, though.

Reply to
Marshax3

LOL

Reply to
Randy Patzkowski

On 05 Jul 2022, Ed Pawlowski snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx wrote in alt.home.repair:

I buy Costo or BJs disposable razors in a pack of 50. Since I'm retired I usually only shave a couple times a week, so the pack lasts forever. I would prefer something heavier in the hand, but I can deal with these. The shave quality seems on par with the brand names and they are way, way cheaper.

I used to have an electric (Norelco rotary?) many years ago but I wasn't very happy with it. I suppose the technology has improved since then.

Reply to
Nil

A very pretty blonde. Why do you ask?

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

So you can make jokes about Beaver UT.

Reply to
rbowman

I've adopted some facets of the Sikh religion; I don't cut my hair or beard and I always carry a knife.

Reply to
rbowman

Sikh neighbor's son was married in a tent in their yard and two of the guys that came to perform the ceremony were carrying swords.

Our neighbor and his sons all shave and cut their hair but I have met family members that don't.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Lot of history there, most involving Muslims, sometimes Hindus. When Indira Gandhi set the army to attack their Golden Temple she probably should have selected someone other than Sikhs for her bodyguard. They weren't traditionalists though. They used a Sten and a .38.

Reply to
rbowman