Just so you know

We don't want one!

mark

I've already declined E.On's oh-so-kind offer of one.

Reply to
Huge

Do we have the right to decline a smart meter?

mark

Reply to
mark

IIRC, the bumph from E.On said something like "have a smart meter, they're really good" and offered a "free" monitor. Compulsion was not mentioned.

Yet.

Reply to
Huge

I would imagine they've got their work cut out installing them for volunteers and when that work dries up out pops the big stick.

mark

Reply to
mark

Just for the DIY theme - Faraday Cage anyone?

Failing that, how about a tin foil hat for the meter?

Unfortunately jamming devices might well affect other electronic goods.

Or just say NO!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

What sort of stick? Utility companies charging more for customer with standard meters?

Reply to
Fredxxx

A load of American drivel. I expect he's a tealeaf party member. Most of what he says is lies.

Reply to
harryagain

FFS! I only listened to the first minute or so of that but it's just ranty paranoid, tinfoil hat wearing, conspiracy theory gibberish.

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yep. In as far as the tone was entirely one of "we're watching what you're doing", and somehow being able to extrapolate extra guests from extra usage which was said in a tone that suggested some sort of Orwellian veto on personal travel.

Yes, fine, they can see usage but So What? Does anyone really care if the RECs discover that Joe Soap is profligate with his energy consumption? TBH, this just demonstrates human stupidity in that an awful lot of people are unable to correlate use with cost on the most basic level.

I worked for a company that did Smart Metering nearly 20 years ago. Endless configurability so you could record consumption (kW, kVA, kVar) in chunks down to 5 minutes. External comms, so plug in a 9600 modem and the data could be dragged back. Most of the meters were aimed at large installations[1], often factories, airports and the like but all the end product would have been was for the electricity company to tinker with the tariff a bit to ensure most units were used at the highest cost.

[1] With sufficiently big current and voltage transformers you could plug one end into the output of Hinkley B and the other into the grid ;-)
Reply to
Scott M

I meant that there probably exists or will exist legislation that compels us to have smart meters.

mark

Reply to
mark

You weren't paying attention to the first 5 seconds then. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

Yes he's exactly right,barking mad paranoia from the USA.

Reply to
harryagain

this is equally as barking IMO

Oh, the *radiation* !!