Just in case anyone cares

No, wrong tak.

You have got to tell daily mail readers that these devices are radioactive and genetically modify the human DNA.

Reply to
Adrian C

The next step will be to change energy tariffs with time of day. Not like Economy 7 for cheap power at night but upping the prices just when you need to cook dinner for example. There is already talk of switching off freezers and fridges during peak demand. So stay away from 'smart' appliances in future. UK smart meters will also be able to disconnect your supply ostensibly only for billing defaults but just wait until the UK is even shorter of generating capacity than it is now and some sort of rationing is introduced as a 'special measure'

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Interestingly enough. Back last year I specifically asked EDF if there were accessible smart meters for the blind. I was told I'd be put on a register of people who might be asked to test this. Nothing happened and last week I was asked if I wanted a smart meter, I said only if its accessible to the blind and in any case, nobody had contacted me about last years enquiry. Needless to say, they did not even have a record of my enquiry, and the lady had to go off for several minutes and ask the question on access. She returned with a no, its not, I said not even via a computer? She said it might work on a smart phone, but she had raised a query as she had not thought of the implications for the blind. Words fail me, they really do. Most of these organisations have lots of old customers, who, in the main suffer from poor eyesight through macular degeneration. One would have hoped that this fact might have actually been factored in to design briefs at the start. What next? a toaster where you need to use a touch screen to do your breakfast?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One of my factory units has a smart meter. It is not even accessible to the sighted. Pushing the display button just gives a blank screen. The supplier's comment - that happens sometimes.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I enquired about having them fitted and, our property has been declared "unsuitable for smart meters", guess it's not a big loss then ;)

Aren't there Government guidelines about everyone getting one eventually though?

Reply to
Lee

Who pays for the electricity to run a smart meter? mark

Reply to
mark

They do - which means you do in the end

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In the future you will have no option, this is the thin edge of the wedge. However, if you are on the ball there will be good options for making/saving money.

I have a brother in Oz (Perth), he already has exactly the above. There are three price levels through the day. A big factor over there is air con. He also has solar panels, they just run his meter backwards (mostly during the "expensive" period) and a cash adjustment is made either way. As it happens, they pay him, (around A$500/year.)

Must make the electricity bills hard to sort out.

Reply to
harryagain

The same person as pays for the electricity to run the one you have now.

Reply to
harryagain

I also have a property "unsuitable for a smart meter". I have conventional meters for both gas an electricity (no pre-pay or economy

7) that are fitted under my stairs a few feet from one another.

I wonder what makes my arrangement unsuitable?

Reply to
alan

Inadequate mobile data signal?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Lack of mobile signal? eon seem to use 2G on O2.

Reply to
Andy Burns