Have you guys seen this?

Interesting - Monodraught could have themselves a competitor :-)

Much easier to route fiber optics than sunpipes and I like the integration with the luminares

Any idea of prices?

Reply to
Tim

There is a lighting designer I work with who has mentioned this system to me in the past. I'm going check with him and ask him how well it works. Looks pretty cool.

Reply to
Cato

As far as I know, its pretty expensive at the moment. Not exactly sure though.

Reply to
Night_Seer

from what I remember, in the quote in the clip on that site, they said they hope to have the price to under 10k in a year or so.

Reply to
skroob

Not "powered by" but rather "actual photons from".

.

I assume there isn't. Don't know of any way to sock away photons. Conversion to electricity seems to be the only option.

They seem to be targetting it at deep in big buildings where the sun never shines.

Reply to
gruhn

Sounds like your right, there is now way to store captured light and they make no mention of it on their website. Also the limit to length of 10M is not good. They use plastic fibers as opposed to glass. I wonder if glass can conduct light farther.

Reply to
Night_Seer

Imagine so.

Think of all the fiber that's laid for data around and about town.

Wonder what the bandwidth (throughput)(volume) issues are for light.

Suspect the reason for plastic is (at least) threefold

- cost - flexibility - diameter.

I've a book at home on fiber in architectural applications. I'll try to remember to dig it up.

Reply to
gruhn

So if you could afford to set up the whole house with glass fiber every which way when its built you'd be all set, and not have to worry about the flexibility part. The diameter and cost would be worked into the plans. Of course that means being able to afford it.

Reply to
Night_Seer