I suppose I should have seen this coming

The upstairs bathroom is finally plumbed!

A long struggle getting a seal on a pop up basin waste. Not helped by there being nothing to grip and stop it rotating.

You may recall the wall mounted bath tap from the ping John thread: a bit like ARW after a busy weekend:-) A long horizontal spout, drooping at the end, mounted on a hollow bronze casting with the supplies and taps at either side. Obviously the spout and hollow casting are full of water when you turn off the taps... this then siphons out with lots of glugging noises:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That authentic French plumbing sound. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Funnily enough, we popped round to see some friends yesterday and checked out their new was_bath_now_shower room. He said 'watch this' and flushed the toilet and it flushed normally, so far so good. Then, as it was refilling it seemed to do a secondary flush / gurgle?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Hmm.. It remains to be seen what our water does to the incredibly complex appearing plastic assemblies found in current toilet cisterns:-(

So far, they work out of the plastic bag with a little adjustment for fill level. Changing the flush quantities appears beyond a geriatric although they do give a detailed set of pictures.

For the *back to the wall* unit, adjustments and repairs are meant to be carried out by removing the assembly through a slot at the front. Heaven help anyone foolishly tearing up the instruction sheet.

Brexit thread divert alert.... will we be able to source spares from Italy in 2 years time?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What makes you think you're be able to source spares from Italy now?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ah! I'm rather hoping my supplier will be able to obtain the *full flush* button which was missing from the sealed pack of parts:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

For some of the designer-ware you would have difficulty getting spares even now.

I've just come back from visiting friends who rent a place with an expensive 'designer' bathroom.

Large free-standing bath which is extremly difficult to get out of unless you roll over and start from a kneeling position.

Floor standing pillar bath taps which have always leaked and require a towel around the pillar at the floor. Replacement taps of the same design leaked again after a week.

Nice streamlined taps tops which are just chromed cylinders (no indents or protrusions). Impossible to turn off with wet or soapy hands.

Close coupled toilet where the tank section was very narrow and 3 ft high. When the flush mechanism failed the plumber employed by the landlords' representative could source any spares and in the end fitted a more traditional sized close coupled unit.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , Tim Streater writes

No. Unless it is related to baths not wearing out and limiting the replacement sales opportunity.

I've gone for wall mounted as the bath is fitted in an alcove. One end totally inaccessible for repairs and taps at the other might impede climbing in/out. I'm relieved to see they are serviceable by removing the chrome bezel but you do need two different size Allen keys and a box spanner. The pipe connections are buried:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb