Just curious: What bench grinder do you recommend?

I always find I need a good bench grinder.

Just curious ... which do you use, and why?

Reply to
SF Man

Nice vintage two wheel Skil with light and rests and shields. $15 price had a lot to do with it, too. And it runs smooth.

I think it depends on what you are going to use it for, and how much you want to spend. For occasional use, most anything will do. For lots of work or precision, you go from there.

I need one of those sanders with the round pad and the belt. Would like it to have a drum, too. But I'm not going to pay what they want at the store. I'll wait until I snag one at a yard sale, about $25, I'd say.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm still using the Craftsman my Dad bought over 60 years ago.

Reply to
tom

My vote too. I have one and if I wanted another grinder I would look for an OLD Craftsman in a garage sale or Craigs list.

As a side note I was forced to use a Makita job site table saw this week and what a piece of crap, compared to my 1970s vintage "better" Craftsman (not even the "best" one). The fence would not get you a repeatable cut. I needed to set it up with a framing square and a ruler every time. The miter guide was virtually useless. (very sloppy in the track and felt like it was made of sheet metal) Newer seldom means better.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just curious. What is the HP of the grinder motor? I have one and I wish it were more powerful.

Reply to
Ken

I'm not really sure what the point of the question is, because it's not likely that the OP is going to be able to get his hands on any particular make and model of grinder that is mentioned here.

Is there really such a thing as a bad grinder?

But just for the record, I have a Sears Craftsman grinder that I bought new about 12 years ago. It takes 8" grinding wheels / wire brushes. Supposedly the motor is 1 HP (that's what the decal says). If I let it free-wheel when I turn it off, it takes a good minute to spin down to a stop.

Reply to
Home Guy

The real question you need to ask is:

How big is your shop vice?

Mine has 8" jaws and weighs 82 lbs.

Reply to
Home Guy

Have two...the old Dayton 2 hp 10" that Dad bought for farm shop years and years and years ago for heavy stuff and actual grinding and I brought the cheap Chinese thing I bought off a truck sale 20+ yr ago when came back to the farm which I keep wire wheel/buffer/whatever on.

Both are functional for what they are but the rests on the cheapie are what you would think they are and it isn't balanced well (besides the wheels) and the switch has to be worked over every so often but it has kept running for far longer than I ever expected.

The Dayton is heavy, balanced has strong, sizable rests and will hog a piece of metal for roughing work as well as can be set for light...

What would be recommended would have most to do w/ what the intended use(s) is(are). What a welding shop needs versus something for a light home shop or a precision tool sharpener are markedly different.

--

Reply to
dpb

Watch Craigslist like a hawk!

Not long ago, I saw a 4" disk/belt sander advertised for $20. Dashed right over and bought it. Owner said "I've got a bigger one for sale, too," and pointed me to a craftsman with a 6" belt and 9" disk. Never used. Still in the box.

"How much do you need to get for that one?" I inquired.

"Oh, thirty dollars," he said.

I bought it. Gave the smaller one to my son.

(Damn! That disk sure takes off the wood! Wow!)

Just yesterday, I bought some stuff from a lady who was cleaning out everything in anticipation of moving to San Francisco. I got:

  • A Craftsman electric mower. Used for one season on a (very) small yard. Retail price of 9 and I paid thirty bucks.
  • An economy table saw, barely used, if at all. I paid . Gave it to my son.
  • A folding tool stand. I see 'em at Home Depot for .95. I paid .

When I got home, my current squeeze inquired as to what "household" items were available at these fire-sale prices. I didn't have a clue, but immediately emailed the lady selling stuff.

I hope to get an answer soon.

Last week I bought two 110v window air conditioners for $10 each. I plan to store them and sell 'em (on Craigslist) at the start of next summer for, oh, $40 each.

Point is, Craigslist often yields bargains and sometimes it yields a monstorous, as they say on basketball broadcasts, S-C-O-R-E ! !

Reply to
HeyBub

¼ horse, 3450 RPM, split phase. Replaced to cord when it got brittle with a grounded one and new grinding stones & wire brush wheels is the only maintenance needed for it's use at home.
Reply to
tom

Which one?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I prefer a 4" vert belt sander. Get a Baldor if you can afford to or look for used. They're damn pricey, but worth it.

nb

Reply to
notbob

SF Man wrote in news:j6ocoe$qek$1 @speranza.aioe.org: