Americans seem to be getting a better deal from Lee Valley.

Page 4 of 7

I already answered this once, but here is more info:
I think you are referring to the Employer Health Tax. This is a surchage to employers for health taxes. See
http://www.trd.fin.gov.on.ca/userfiles/page_attachments/Library/3/irie_eh t_guide_for_employers_march_2003.htm#link17
I think if you have a look at the rates and the cost per person of health care, you will discover it doesn't even get close to paying for it. It is just another tax grab whilst claiming to have the tax rate set (or even reduced); not that I mind paying taxes for services received, I just hate it when they are dishonest about the whole thing.
Anyway, you have been misinformed; I encourage you to explore the issue yourself to verify that. Even write them an email.
PK

Perhaps I can explain it a bit better to you. Some provinces charge health care premiums, some don't. The amount that some provinces charge is minimal, for instance, British Columbia charges $50 per month per person. This is only a token amount, a mere pittance in the overall operating costs. The majority of the funding for the health care system is shared between the provincial and federal governments (i.e. the Canadian public).
Sometimes the employer picks up the $50 per month premium as part of the employee benefit package but that can hardly be considered as you suggest, health care being paid for by the employer.
As you say most provinces charge a health tax on employers however, in the overall scheme of things if you add the cost of extended health benefits paid by employers the private sector in Canada is paying for an about 30% of health care although our Federal and Provincial Governments do not like to acknowledge that.
Glen Duff ------------------
mp wrote:

I never said that. What I said is that some provinces charge a small premium for health care. Sometimes it's paid for by the employers, sometimes it isn't.

We were talking about subsidized health care, which is largely funded by the taxpayer and is free to every Canadian , regardless of their employment status (with the exception of some provinces that charge a small monthly premium).
Private health care is another issue. It's optional and the degree of coverage can vary from 0 to 100% depending on the employee benefit package.
mp asks:

Why do you assume DeWalt is doing the pricing in either country?
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine
This is an excellent question.
Having worked several years in retail in Canada, I know that many items had US retail pricing below Canadian wholesale. Generally this was due to a small distributor taking a huge margin in the middle, with the retailer stuck with low margins to customers: 25% - 30%. The barriers to entry to retail are relatively low, compared to distribution, and so the fat tends to stay with the middleman.
Dewalt USA also appears to handle the distribution to Canada. I am inclined to believe that Dewalt has decided to make more money in Canada, per unit, as opposed to simply higher retail margins prevailing.

Dewalt USA is also the Canadian supplier and distributor and they set the wholesale pricing to retailers. The margins at retail level for Dewalt are similar to any other brand name product, perhaps averaging in the 15-25% range.
On 28 Oct 2004 18:01:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@surfree.com (JohnD) wrote:

Exactly. And when I suggested to Robin a bit of free shipping might help correct this unfair imbalance he basically said he needs the extra cash from Canadians to subsidize the lower price he gives to Americans. And this guy claims to be a Canadian!

There's a whole pile of conditions that have an effect on why something maybe more expensive in Canada and there's a number of areas where the reverse might be true.
Have you ever compared the cost of flying anywhere in Canada to flying in the US? I can fly five times the distance in the US for what it costs to fly anywhere in Canada. How do you explain something like that? Centering out Lee Valley Tools for being caught in the middle of exchange rate conditions and country conditions is at best, a waste of time.
Flights are cheaper in the US because there is more competition for passengers. This is precisely why the plane is cheaper there, as well. More competition leads lo lower profit-maximizing pricing. If you can identifying the cost advantage to a Canadian-made plane selling in the US I would love to hear it... I was merely trying to explain the observed phenomenon of the pricing spreads, not pass moral judgement on Lee Valley.
The reason Bosch sells for more in Canada is that the distributor, Amiel, is taking a very high markup - significantly higher than that taken by the retailer. I predict Bosch will pull the plug on them in the next while.
If you consider the discussion a waste of time, that is your business, but it is puzzling that you would then choose to participate in said discussion...
wrote in message

"JohnD" spake thus: Snip of this and that

Well now ... Delta Airlines and their commuter subsidiaries have been flying CRJs (40 pax model) for several years now. The CRJ ... (Canadair Regional Jet) is a short-haul jet replacing a number of turboprop planes. The thrust to weight ratio is very close to 1:1 ... getting you off the ground and up ... QUICK. It's more cost effective than the older turboprops per pax seat than the turboprops, yet can use the same runways, and beats the 15-25 pax turboprop loads.
This was AFTER consideration of US short-haul jets ... the CRJs were cheaper to purchase and fly.
*****
Now I have a question ... does LV's Canadian prices include VAT/GST, or are they applied separately?
Rick
Rick:
I should have been clearer, I meant block plane, not aero-plane. The LV prices are before the (15% in Ontario) PST & GST.
It's been a LONG day ...
my apologies.
Thanks for the VAT/GST info.
Rick

snipped-for-privacy@surfree.com (JohnD) wrote in

Flights are also cheaper, because there are more people wanting to fly, at any given price.
Patriarch

The pricing of flights is determined by passenger yields, passenger volume, and the competitive environment. There are low cost carriers flying between major Canadian routes that offer very competitive rates, even compared to similar travel in the US.
Don't know what this has to do with Lee Valley as most of their stuff is shipped ground freight.
LOL!!
I needed that :)
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Robin Lee" < snipped-for-privacy@leevalley.com> wrote in message
Robert wrote:

I'm off to check the cupboard for tuna.
UA100

I'd prefer salmon, if you have it.
Keith ... you said it better than I possibly could ... and faster too!
Let me see ... Sams has those 10 pound cans of tuna ...whatcha think ... an even dozen?
Rick

wars.
young

Discovery Channel had a special on Midwest Pumpkin Chunking contests. Do you think one of those babies could be modified? ;-)