Lee Valley pricing

I read here a while back that because Lee Valley prints their catalogs in advance they couldn't give Canadians a break on the prices when the dollar rose. I have to laugh at that. Lee Valley has no problem RAISING prices between catalogs.

Reply to
John

Crawl back under the bridge.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Name one company with a better reputation that does not raise their prices and then go away.

Reply to
Leon

This is what they answered when I asked them:

************ Thank you for your e-mail. We have received similar comments recently as the US dollar continues to lose value. We price our catalog in the summer months. We completed our pricing with an exchange rate of 1.38 CAD/USD at that time. Today's spot rate is 1.18 - a decline of some 15%.

What many consumers do not recognize is the numerous additional factors involved in pricing, beyond exchange rates. With many of our products (purchased up to 14 months in advance) our costs are fixed at that time. For other products, we may have to purchase through a distributor in Canada, where there can be a significant built-in disadvantage in costs between markets - essentially, we may have different costs in different markets, and have to price that way as well. We have actually stopped selling our Leigh Jig to American customers recently because it costs us more to purchase the product than we are recouping with the published US prices.

We can certainly understand how one could perceive the differences you've cited as a "premium" for Canadians - but in reality, it's the American prices that are now out of whack - and are lower than is healthy for us in the long term. Our prices in Canada accurately reflect the costs of doing business.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your concerns with us and we look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

Wanda Gibson Internet Customer Service Representative

***********
Reply to
f/256

So Lee Valley has NO PROBLEM raising the price to Canadian customers on a wide range of items but won't raise prices to Americans. Makes sense, Americans would be screaming like stuck pigs. Lee Valley knows the Canadian customer won't behave in the same manner.

Reply to
John

GD Trolls continue to get me. Anyway, so you are saying that the LV is charging more then the current catalogue prices to Canadians? Odd, I was there just a couple of days ago and this wasn't the case. You are full of shit.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

'zat you again "Robert"???

We have not changed any prices (other than introductory specials (2?) ) since the main catalogue was printed.

Prices change Sept for Wood, Oct/Nov for Hardware, and January for Gardening....that's it.

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lee

I have a price increase sheet I received with my last order. As soon as I set up my snazzy new scanner later today I will scan it and post to the binary group.

Reply to
John

Sure sounds like him doesn't it. You ever notice how the gutless wonders don't have a valid addy or any ID info? Just another pitch in the dust, Robin, let it go by. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Hey, John/Robert/whatever?

FOAD.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That would be woodworking products, also in the gardening catalogue, (or hardware, or gift Items, also added to the gardening catalogue).... what we call "cross-over" products...

Every item has a "primary" catalogue - and is priced once per year, with its associated main catalogue...

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lee

Wanda, I am afraid this troll got you hook, line and sinker. You explanation was appreciated but certainly not needed.

Reply to
Leon

Hello John, meet Robert in my kill-filter. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Hi Rob, I thought I posted this a couple days ago but it seems to have dissapearred. My apologies if this shows up twice.

First, I'd like to say that I'm a very satisfied LV customer. I just finished spending my LV gift certificates on some K-Body sets at your Coquitlam store. Lee Valley's customer service is second to none.

I also have a question regarding this US/CAN pricing thing.

Would a customer shopping at a Canadian LV store be able to purchase goods at the US catalog price if paying in US funds? Just curious.

Thanks.

Reply to
BeerBoy

dissapearred.

Are you nuts? Of course not, or every Canadian would be doing it.

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news20.forteinc.com:

*plonk* goes the idiot....
Reply to
stickdoctor

Go away Robert, you give Canada a bad name.

Reply to
BeerBoy

dissapearred.

Hi -

No - the USD priced catalog is for delivery only outside Canada...

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lee