USB Video Grabber at Lidl

: : I figure I already *have* a HDD dvdr or I would not be wanting to convert : tapes.

If the OP had such a HDD dvdr he would not be asking about the up and coming Lidl product would he - Duh!

Reply to
Jerry

I don't know: I have both computers and tape players, but as someone used to having separate bits of equipment for each process (vinyl/tape/amp/record player/tape player/cdplayer) I still found myself nearly buying a 'cassette to mp3 converter'. It is easy to fall into the trap of buying another piece of hardware just because you used to have to. It depends on how much he knows about video/discs/equipment/and software, and numerous other factors that don't become apparent to many until they have bought the wrong stuff and found out the hard way.

Spamlet

Not quite sure what you mean by "black burst" - the black level setting is typically done by sampling the video level on the back porch of the preceding line sync. The macrovision system sticks peak white bars into the normally black level video signal that occurs during the vertical retrace sync pulses. That forces the AGC in a normal VCR to reduce the recording level, and hence record the syncs at reduced amplitude - hence poor picture stability and black level clamping. So to defeat it you can just mask the video with a black bar which you position so as to cover the lines "consumed" during vertical retrace. Somewhat simpler that doing full TBC style sync restoration.

Yup that's a bit more sophisticated than the thing I had in mind, but they seem far less common than they once were (probably due to the lack of popularity of VCRs now!)

Something like:

John Rumm

A point worth noting if you have a reasonable camcorder with firewire on. Some of these can also covert live video (fed in via its AV inputs) on the fly into digitised video. Alas not all can do this since the once that can attracted higher import duties.

Reply to
John Rumm

: > :> : > :> : : > :> : Note if you are transferring commercial pre-recoded stuff, : > then : > :> some : > :> : capture software will detect and throw a wobbly at the : > :> macrovision : > :> : protection. Either use something that does not care, or : > stick a : > :> sync : > :> : cleaner box between VCR and capture device. : > :>

: > :> Otherwise known as a Time Base Corrector (TBC), worth the : > extra : > :> money if one has a lot of non macrovision protected tapes to : > :> transfer as many other problems such as drop-outs etc. can : > often : > :> be corrected by re-syncing the video signal. : > : : > : Well I would be a little wary of calling the little £20 : > macrovision : > : stripping boxes TBCs - the simplest ones don't touch the : > timebase or : >

: > Yes they do, they might not strip out and replace like a fully : > fledged TBC does but they still 'repair' the damaged Black Burst : > sync pulses caused by macrovision implantation. : : Not quite sure what you mean by "black burst" - the black level setting : is typically done by sampling the video level on the back porch of the : preceding line sync.

Err, blackburst is the sync.

The macrovision system sticks peak white bars into : the normally black level video signal that occurs during the vertical : retrace sync pulses. That forces the AGC in a normal VCR to reduce the : recording level, and hence record the syncs at reduced amplitude - hence : poor picture stability and black level clamping.

Basically upsetting the Vertical Time reference sync (blackburst) contained within the top 20 (?) video lines - normally hidden on domestic TVs - which is required during the tape-to-tape/device re-recording process. Most domestic video recorders, on their AV input side [1], are reliant on the Vertical Time sync reference of the input signal, thus any disruption of this sync causes the resultant recording to be unstable.

[1] the RF side has far better fault handling ability, due to the day-facto vagaries of the average broadcasting system.

: So to defeat it you can : just mask the video with a black bar which you position so as to cover : the lines "consumed" during vertical retrace. Somewhat simpler that : doing full TBC style sync restoration.

But that is exactly what is being done, the Time Base is being Corrected, striping out and replacing the blackburst - vertical - timing within the top (usually hidden) lines of the video signal, don't get confused between that and colour adjustments that most prosumer TBC units can also do!

Reply to
Jerry

I don't have experience with this particular unit but in general I have been very dissapointed with cheap video capture devices. In fact they were all returned to the retailers.

In particular if your tapes are poor quality then you may need /better/ hardware/software to capture them.

Given your requirements I'd consider renting a good quality analogue capture device (or buying and reselling one). You could also rent a DV camcorder with analogue passthrough to do the same thing. Then capture to DV and copy to disk. Copy back to miniDV tape for archiving.

Reply to
Mark