Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 6 of 16
al wrote:

Don't think so. LOTS of work around MK.

centre
but
I remember looking for a job there ... while there was much more there than a lot of other places around, it really wasn't overflowing with the kind of stuff I was looking for. Maybe it's just me though ....

like
centre
but
A train can take only 40 mins in to London. Abbey National's headquarters in baker St. They can take the tube a couple of stops to Euston and be in MK in 40 mins. All the Abbey operation is there. MK does not want to be regarded as a dormitory city, just a city in its own right. It even has its own League foooty team too.

It was an overspill for London, but not a commuter town. It has enough industry of its own and companies are still locating to there. It is no dormitory city. It is now a city. Well the signs say City Centre everywhere.

It's a pseudo-city like Reading. The buses and road signs there try to have you believe that it is. As far as I was aware, that requires a royal decree and a cathedral, not a vote by a Noolabah local council exceeding its authority.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

was
like
centre
but
What constitutes a city is rather silly. The smallest city in the UK is a village, because it has a cathedral. Some towns are larger than some cities, etc. A city should be by size, and size alone. Once the size drops then it becomes a town. The Queen should have nothing to do with it. Preston was recently made a city with a population that would have fitted into the old Odsel rugby stadium.

I prefer it to be the traditional way, and certainly not based on what a town council thinks it might like to do.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

enough
no
drops
Who said a town council decides? A criteria is set once you are within your are a city, once you are out, you are not. No silly Queen, town council, government, etc. The existing way is assessment is just plain silly.

This is what Reading, and probably MK have done......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM wrote:

Good grief. My boiler is combi because it has a red pipe coming out if it.
IMM is a dickhead because he wears an anorak.
This is ultimate Noolabah spik. Let's redefine 'supremely intelligent' as 'any one who votes Noolabah' and let them go to free 'universities' where they get told how to vote noolabah and how clever they are...
What is wrong with a city the size of a village for gawds sake?
A city is a counrbation WITH a cathedral and some kind of ecclesiastical status.
Why all this envy and jealousy because your 'town' is not a 'city' that makes you want to rewrite the english language in order to feel better and less inadequate?

drops
fitted
it.
Do you know what this is all about?

I wear suarve clothes and do the tango. Do you wear an Argyle pattern jumper? Must do.

A city is "big", not small.

Silly idea.

My town? I don't live in a town. You are odd.

IMM wrote:

No, thats only in your mind. A city is a town with a cathedral. Period. Or was until some tossers without one called themselves 'cities'

So are you, but hey, you are there for all to laugh at. Wishing silly things weren't the way they are seldomn makes them dissapear.

No, you live on the planet zarg. I had forgotten.

Yeah, but those signs are just a ploy to keep you going around more roundabouts ....

Kind of like that polyurethane stuff that comes in a can. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

follow
financial
that
LOL. Andy you are so funny.

IMM wrote:

Weaseling again.The whole issueis there is nop point in releasing huge tracts of land for building if no one wants to build there.
If you had ever stuided geography this confusion woukld not arise. Once again we have to allow for the educational deficiencies of the Bumper Book of How Things Work, which obviously features combi boilers, not economic geography.
People live where there are resources to live on, or off. If those resources come at too high a price in human time to exploit, then those areas die as far as human populations goes. Which is why sod all people live in greenland, or the Sahara, for a small example.
There isn't enough of what people need, to attract them.
Ther is howver lots of land not owned by rich people out there, so obviously the whole of Nu Laber can bugger off to the sahara and stop whingeing about UK house prices. Not much central heating needed either.
Huge tracts of the pennines, the dales, the scottish and welsh mountains,
as well as the uplands in the west country, ireland, and teh scottish lisalnds,
the flood plains of the rivers, the marshes and bogs elsewhere are at best marginbal
land for building on.
Noty because one couldn't, but the cost of laying in services, prioecting against unstable conditions, and so on would render the final price above what people would be prepared to pay to *live in that spot*.
Not too long ago a friend of mine who works partly at home and partly in Bristol, bought a very reasonable terraced house in aan old mining village in south wales. I think he paid 15,000 for it.
Ther are empty houses all over the place un the north and west, going for a few grand.
There is no housing shortage. What there is is a complete disparity between where the houses are and where the people want to be.
More an more youngsters are in fact settling in si=outh Wales, somply because they can afforsd to, and the area is having money pumped into it, and is a very nice up and comingf part of teh world - I was pleasantly suprised, compared with when I used to stay there in the 50's and 60's at how much cleaner and more prosperous it is, since the pits went.
You don't have to legislate: Peole are abandoning London and the south east because they cannot afford to live and work there. Companies are abandoning it because the wages they need to pay to have staff of any caliber turn up are twice what they might pay in e.g. Cardiff.
It all works out in teh end.

the
huge
99%
It isn't Our snotty uni man said large parts of the UK cannot be built on for physical,reasons.

And I have.

Why? has someone moved parts of the UK?

Did get the big colour edition this Christmas.

Well I never! Well the UK is not tundra or desert. Look at your Times Atlas.

A small percentage.

Wow!
lisalnds,
marginbal
It can be built on, without much problem. Ever been the Alps?

Not so.

You mean tiny scruffy terraced house. IN the US they have walk in closets bigger than them. You can't be serious. The term house is questionable when talking about those structures.

They are damp ridden, scruffy, tiny boxes.

You are a fool. The country is short of 8 million of them. On TV yesteday Milton Keynes was presidted to be larger than Liverpool in 20 years and larger than Nottingham in about 8.

Those are not houses in modern sense.

Not so. People have said that about London for the past 40 years. It has never happened. Legislation is the only way to de-centralise.

Not by itself it wont.

IMM wrote:

and
>Slagging people off for being different makes you sad ...
I rest my case. m'lud :-)

Is this case heavy?

Is it just me or is it getting late ....!?