Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 3 of 16
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 01:23:14 +0000, Andy Dingley

The first.

I watched only to see whether there would be any developments. After the first 20 minutes of Sarah trying to get Mrs Developer to listen to reason, I could see that she was fighting a hopeless battle. Then it became a mission to see said woman fail - as a warning to others, which I definitely think did come across. Although, conveniently, we did not see the final outcome of whether they actually sold at any kind of a profit or whether they suffered a loss, it was clear that as a lesson in how to develop property the programme was a dead loss.

But we don't watch a bad property development programme and say, oh, that's okay, because it's good TV!

She is a successful property developer!
MM

Do we have any evidence that she is a successful developer - other than C4 publicity ? Based on the state of her own flat as amusingly exposed on "Britain's Best Homos" I would say the jury is out.

Yes, that was a disgrace to the hunchback race.

Sounds like the apocryphal electrician's house with rubber wires sticking out of the walls, or the plumber's house where you have to sh*t in a bucket. Too busy out making money and don't want to return home to do what you've been doing at work all day.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

wedding.

Most people would consider that a good thing.

I'm sure that came out ruder than expected!
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Apparently she has her own property development company..... Although I did wonder last night how much she's getting paid for Property Ladder and how much she makes from the property co. Maybe she has plebs to do the work for her and gets both incomes.....
Alastair
On 7 Jan 2004 01:12:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Alastair) wrote:

....her head is screwed on, then!
MM
Alastair wrote:

Anyone can set up a company and call themselves a property developer.
Whats it called? Lets look at the books!

Probably.
Andy Dingley wrote:

It was remarked by someone deep in our local radio (that I happened to overhear at a pub) that the media is now comprised of career media people, straight out of 'meedyar studdys' who have absolutely no experience of the real world, and are selected solely on the basis of being able to project a false persona to the camera.
Its the same in politics.
The point is not to edcucate, or pass rational comment, merely to entertain and gain ratings and hence advertising revenue.
Or in the case of politicians, to sell the party brand to the electorate. It is not necessary to be able to govern or manage anything in order to become prime minister, apart from the party apparatus, merely be a good sales and marketing type.
Cf Phony Liar.
If only the vast numbers of people who to "polTicks and Meedyar studdys" were being taught that...they might vote somewhat differently.

I think it's also a nadir of British society if a grotty two bedroom terrace is London is now worth near to half a million pounds. You can buy a five bedroom detached house, 10 acres of land and a barn larger than that whole terrace house (upstairs and down) within commuting distance of Manchester. And I mean easy commuting, not the up to two hours there and again back I gather some people down there do.
When is this government going to decentralise, starting with the thing it can influence - the civil service.

Where was that house? What area of London? The sort that buy those houses generally also have a house in country.

Great idea. Get all the departments out of London. They started in the 1970s but Thatcher stopped it: Social Security at Newcastle, DVLA in Swansea, etc.

IMM wrote:

How little you know of life!

There's a place waiting for you in Cuba, IMM.

Great place. I was thee last year.

I think it was more down to that episode of Yes Prime Minister when the head of the armed forces refused to move out of London "because how could the wife get to Harrods"

Most of that series was based on fact. The main MOD and government research sites are never more than 1 hour out of London. It is disgusting how centralised the country is.

"G&M" wrote | "IMM" wrote | > > When is this government going to decentralise, starting with | > > the thing it can influence - the civil service. | > Great idea. Get all the departments out of London. They started | > in the 1970s but Thatcher stopped it: Social Security at Newcastle, | > DVLA in Swansea, etc. | I think it was more down to that episode of Yes Prime Minister when | the head of the armed forces refused to move out of London "because | how could the wife get to Harrods"
The Scottish Parliament wants to do something similar, but the civil servants want to stay in Edinburgh.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3081885.stm
Owain

Richmond - west of London (tube zone 4). If you think that is bad try Hampstead. I'm in a not-so-cheap part of Surrey and I'd be able to exchange a nice 5-bed with small garden for a 1-bed flat 4th floor no lift 30 minutes' commute of central London.
Zane.