Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 11 of 16

I've just got to look at tonight's slew of messages to decide not to!
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Imm wrote:

With you on that ... I like living in London because it's got some life. Not some dead-end middle-of-nowhere country place with no restaurants, no pubs, no clubs, no museums, no theatres, no public transport, no nightbus, no open minded people ... etc. etc. etc.
And before I get a raft of people deciding to side with IMM, I do realise that normal, well balanced (and quite skilled DIY'ers!) live outside of London too ;o)
I choose to live in London not because I work here but because I want to. Some people like the quiet life - I don't.
Imm wrote:

You must mean some village in the middle of nowhere. Most people in London cannot afford the nightlife. Most of them do what everyone else does: look at TV and go the pub. Most may as well be elsewhere.

Are these the same people who you keep telling us have second homes in the country?
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Imm wrote:> > You must mean some village in the middle of nowhere. Most

No.

So, according to you, *most* people in London cannot afford the nightlife and don't have a second home in the country. Yet these people who spend seven days a week in densely packed terraced houses could sell up, move away to homes twice the size for half the price and be better off (lower wages more than matched by lower housing costs, except in the South West). But they don't. This ought to tell you what most people realised decades ago, that location matters more to most people than anything.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Imm wrote:

Yep.
Can't see why they don't. BTW, foreigners tend to stick around Londo as they feel better ina multi-national environment. The BRits are desertinbg London by the droves, except the Cockney's. Boiled beef and carrots, boiled beef and carrots.

London is an anomaly, not the norm at all.

IMM wrote:

But contains 10% of the population of the UK.

And 90% live elsewhere and hate the place.

I'd have thought more people would hate Birmingham actually, and that's a tiny proportion of the UK population :P
al wrote:

I wuite LIKE Birmingham actually.
Its places like Hackney and Tottenham that scare the pants off me.

In fairness to the place, it looks a hell of a lot better in the last 5-10 years. I just can't get over the accent though! Sorry .... *ducks once more* .....

When you amongst them, you don't hear it.

IMM wrote:

Ah. Are you referring to the lies promulagted by Nu Laber there, then?

Have you missed the appointment for the clinic again?

... as Mike Harding once said of Brum: "how can a million people all have a speech impediment?" ;-)
--
Julian Fowler

I think it's the water .... ;)

Welsh.

writes

Oh here comes that meteorite ..... splat, yippee.

--
Andrew

Tony Bryer wrote:

Yes.
Yes.
Yes. Except in this case they haven't done the sums, and don't realise it.
Most people are in london because that is where the highest paid jobs are. Or sometimes ANY jobs are. Or because they were born there, and haven't a clue how to get away.
In et 50's people began to commute. My parents moved to what was then outsiie london, but my father still worked 'in town'
That process continyued until the originally quite rural home counties now resmble contiguous suburbia. Ther is very little true countryside left in teh home counties, except right off the communication corridoors.
As communiactions got better and worse, so other areas opend up - or clsed down, and now people live in Oxford, Cambridge, Colchester. Norwich and so on, and work in the city.
They are willing to trade 4 hours a day travelling for the privilege of NOT having to bring their kids up in London.
Its all going pear shaped because nwo the actual fact is that altho london is teh place where the work is, no one wants to live there, and it takes about 5 times the workers as it has space to house them, and in any case its so larger that on average each person who lives and works in london still does an hour or more commute anyway...
The answer is to simply move the work out, and the people back to thise northern towns where they came from oin the 50's and give london back to teh few people who actually want to be there.
Its actually happening, as people realise that places like manchetser and Leeds have better club scenes, places like Oxford and Cambridge have better book shops, places like Lesicester have better asian stores, places like little potton under marsh have spaces for children to play and low crime rates...and indeed, there is as much of a life to be had if not more, stacking shelves there than dealing dodgy bonds in teh city...if you are not too greedy...
Its all in flux, its all changing. London is disintegrating
because it is EXPENSIVE. It is no longer value for money
in any sense except that people think it IS.
And that game is teh boom and bust game. If firms simplyopen up elsewhere, london will empty and prices come crashing down.