supermarket fuel

You've been reading cereal box backs again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not so. I read it in an EU directive...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was told the windscreen one by an allegro driving colleague who claimed it had happened to him, but the thin bodywork is something I have personal experience of, having clipped a parked Allegro with my Viva. I hardly felt it, and thought I'd driven over a bump or something. I only stopped because I saw an irate man in the mirror.

The whole of his nearside rear wing was stoved in, and the car could not be moved. I had a small half-snooker ball sized dent. Even the copper who did me for due care and attention was astounded.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Normally I keep my hands at around ten to two, making small adjustments with push-pull (ie keep one hand on the wheel as I turn, the the wheel slide through the other). For larger movements when manooevring, I may put one hand at 12 oclock and bring it down to 6 oclock, then continue with the other hand from 6 to 12 etc. But I very rarely let either hand cross 12 oclock because I find that leads to my arms in danger of getting tangled. Sometimes (and you can only do this with power steering) I put one palm on the wheel and crank the wheel round and round as if I was holding a knob on the wheel - but only at very low speed when manoevring.

In other words, partly as I was taught fro the ordinary and advanced tests, partly modified for expedience and the need to turn the wheel quickly when manoevring or when turning out of a side road and need to straighten up quickly after that.

Reply to
NY

But LPG generally is not so this did/does apply to autogas.

Reply to
bert

No sorry Try as I might I can't find any ignition on my diesel.

Reply to
bert

when we were on holiday in Estonia 20 years ago, all the fuel tanks were above ground. It was obviously a quicj way of constructing filling stations.

Reply to
charles

Interesting. In the USA (from what I've seen at least) gas stations either have "CONTAINS 10% ETHANOL" labels on the pumps (identical ones, so I assume they're statutory standards) or a big sign bragging about not including ethanol.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I read somewhere that that is now the recommended practice by the Advanced Motorists bicbw.

Reply to
bert

You hit a parked car and didn't know it? How come there are so many driving that shouldn't be allowed to even push a pram around? But if you hit a parked car it would be with the bumper, so hardly surprising it does more damage to un unprotected panel.

Yes. I'm astounded by the numbers of drivers who shouldn't be driving too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try looking inside the cylinders. Without ignition how the f*ck do you think it runs at all?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The old feed through the hands is needed when you have a 30 tonnne truck and no power steering.

They are prerty rare these days.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's called "compresion ignition". The "plug like" things fitted to each cylinder are "glowplugs" which heat up the cylinders to geta suitable working temperature. They are NOT spark plugs

Reply to
charles

Compression of the mixture?

Reply to
Davey

Is it a direct injection engine?

Reply to
dennis

Think of the generic name. CI. Compression ignition. Unless the fuel is ignited in some way, the engine doesn't run.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's the idea of a bumper on an old car. It's made out of much thicker steel than the body. But I wouldn't expect you to know such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was under the impression that in the UK, the required "biofuel" content for road transport was achieved by adding 10% FAME (fatty acid methyl esters, or biodiesel for short) to all diesel fuel, and no ethanol to petrol. The amount of petrol and diesel used for road transport is essentially the same, so this gives an average of 5%, which I think is an EU directive.

Reply to
newshound

Its called compression IGNITION!!!

Oddly enough, it doesn't happen until there is fuel in the cylinder

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

US fuel is very different to ours - not just in the octane rating (we use RON, they use the average of RON and the lower MON - their 89 is about the same as our 95) - but in the list of stuff they have in. Yep, E10 is the default over there, but they get all sorts of chemically aggressive weirdness like oxygenated fuel.

They get E85 widely available, too - as do some European countries, especially Scandinavia.

Reply to
Adrian