supermarket fuel

Name a tractor with manifold injection then (either made as recently as 25 years ago or *ever*). Making stuff up doesn't count as evidence.

You do realise that IDI (indirect injection) does NOT mean manifold injection do you? I'm seriously beginning to wonder...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Mine didn't have a glowplug at all. It was purely CI. There were other engines that had glowplugs and you attached a big battery to get the engine to start. Mine you just used a recoil starter until it went, usually on the first or second try if I had mixed the fuel correctly.

I forget the exact mixture but it had castor oil in it so probably not the safest stuff to burn.

Reply to
dennis

It was a diesel, not a glo engine.

Lucky you. I had one diesel that used to start about once a day if I was lucky.

generally 33/33/33 castor, paraffin and ether with a few percent of amyl nitrate IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. Direct injection gives better efficiency. Indirect was an attempt to get some of a petrol engine's refinement - but lost a deal of efficiency until electronic injectors and control arrived.

Many pre WW2 diesels were direct injection - but of course on commercial vehicles where refinement didn't much matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My Dad has memories of using a blowtorch to get a manifiold red-hot before starting.

That and lighting fires under the fuel tanks ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk