supermarket fuel

You do if you are tuning for performance

And a more advanced spark.

You contradict yourself.

You design it for a target octane rating. Yes. You lower the mapping for lower octane. Yes. so its NOW designed for the lower octane fuel!

I(f it has auto mapping it will definitely be better on the higher octane. If not, its pretty LIKELY but not certain that it will be

What does of course happen is that if its running rich because the fuel has more carbon in it - typically with aromatics, it will be leaned out by the ECU so it will do better mpg on higher carbon content fuel.

As I said, its not that simple.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tell that to Lewis Hamilton!

Reply to
AnthonyL

Only drivers who follow learner instruction slavishly, or who have steering with no power assistance on a low ratio rack or box, 'feed the wheel through their hands' . Its a technique designed so that stupid noobs never let go of the wheel.

Racing drivers cross their arms over on tight corners.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In one tropical country I go to the locals insist on filling up at the garage first thing in the morning to ensure that they get maximum mass for the delivered volume. The reasoning is that as the day warms up the density decreases. Any truth in that?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Just about any solid or liquid changes in volume as the temperature changes.

But fuel is stored underground before sale, so the storage temperature is going to be fairly consistent.

Reply to
Adrian

That comes under adjusting. Since it can be done in software. Changing the CR not.

Not so. It may run, but retarding the ignition for a poorer quality fuel than it was designed for is at best a cludge.

The AFR on a modern engine is largely determined by the presence of a catalytic convertor - not for maximum power or best economy.

You've certainly proved that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Racing cars have much higher geared steering than road cars. You couldn't 'feed the wheel through your hands' even if you wanted to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the UK the tanks are buried underground for safety reasons so will keep a pretty constant temperature.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are the tanks in the ground?

Reply to
Huge

IIRC mine is mapped for 99...

Reply to
John Rumm

Japanese-spec import?

Reply to
Adrian

Unless it's just been delivered from above ground storage tanks via a tanker in full sun...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

a narrow road, not used much where weeds are growing well in the middle where no tyre ever goes. The "ply" is tarmac/weeds/tarmac. Where the countryide is wet, the middle is often reeds which help to clean the underside of the car.

Reply to
Charles Hope

Migh have offered better ventilation?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Yes indeed but the very few I heard weren't at all impressive the one that was, the Philips K70 chassis:)

That was very good indeed...

Treble and bass controls IIRC....

Reply to
tony sayer

I think the pressed board back was indentical.

Much later I came across the material on which they had based their report. They has 2 HMV sets, one of which developed a fault - so 50% of HMV sets were bad!

Mina had a fault, too. Dry joint in a wire feeding an "off the PCB" power transitor. I resoldered it and had another 10 years of life out of it.

Reply to
Charles Hope

Petrol and water will separate out unless stirred. I ran out of petrol one wet rainy night and a local farmer sold me a gallon in a can. Then the car would start ok in the morning, run for about a mile and stop. Water in the fuel. Separating out over night in the carburettor float chamber was the di agnosis

Reply to
fred

I got a severe admonishment from the expert accompanying me on a track day for push-pull steering in a Lotus Elite. The main issue is that you have a poor sense of what angle your wheels are at with that procedure.

Reply to
AnthonyL

But the bodywork steel was only a few atoms thick and the windscreen was the main structural member which would pop out if you jacked the car up in the wrong place.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

...when urban myths meet chinese whispers...

Reply to
Adrian