Supermarket chiller packs that don't freeze

Amazon/Morrison's deliver frozen food with ice packs containing some fluid which doesn't stay frozen in my freezer.

What liquid are they using and do ice packs have any use once the frozen food has been delivered? Seems a shame to throw them away.

Reply to
Pamela

It is probably "Dry Ice". Frozen Carbon Dioxide. Your freeze°r would need to beta -78°C to keep it frozen ;-)

Reply to
charles

It isn't. Carbon dioxide solid sublimates, there is no liquid phase at normal temperature and pressure.

Perhaps Madame Pamela should try alt.morrisons.icepack.discussion.bollocks

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Dry ice isn't a fluid.

Check your freezer temperature, it's probably faulty.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I would assume they use Sodium Polyacrylate to retain the water in a gel. It's the chemical they use in nappies to absorb water and is non-toxic if the pack is broken.

I would have thought they would be frozen at -18C or so. BICBW

I would be very tempted to get a thermometer to check. It's always good to have one.

Reply to
Fredxx

Most obvious use would be as ice packs. We used to get them with frozen raw pet food, far more than I would ever normally want for domestic use (might I suppose be useful if organising a large barbecue at a remote site). I used to think they were the wrong sort of thing to go into landfill, after removing the packaging the contents can be flushed down the drain. (I'm sure they are non-toxic, otherwise they would not be used with foodstuffs).

Havn't seen them for a while, all we have had recently has been dry ice packets, but these are just empty polythene bags by the time they arrive.

Reply to
newshound

I guess that's why it's called "dry ice".

Reply to
Max Demian

You recharge freezer packs in the "chest freezer".

The regular refrigerator has to be set to a too aggressive setting, to do freezer packs.

Only a "new" fridge makes rock hard ice cream, with authority. When fridges get older, the chest freezer is a good place to store the ice cream instead. Or, to charge up a freezer pack.

You can store more energy in a freezer pack, if it goes through a phase change. The phase change of your particular freezer pack, is 3X better than water. The "flat section" of the diagram for your freezer pack, is three times wider than the plain-water diagram in this article. That means the freezer pack might "last twice as long" for some purpose.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Surely that would be rather dangerous to have around the place? Frostbite and co 2 release in a confined area?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Lot of it about near the poles of Mars and on other planets and moons further out of course.

Perhaps its antifreeze? Grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No it could just be that the volume is far too large to freeze all in one lump. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

That is an interesting take on the issue. My fridge-freezer is now 13 years old, and the freezer compartment is still maintaining the set -19 degrees. Isn't that cold enough for you?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's ok if you have a risk assessment and a hard hat.

Reply to
jon

The Federal Aviation Authority is perfectly happy with controlled dry ice quantities in aircraft.

Indeed, they recently issued revised guidelines for use with Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine which has stringent requirements for cold storage/transport. That lifted the quantity allowed - with some additional considerations.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Probably water and some sort of antifreeze

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because a refrigerator has adjustments, Uncle Vinny may have come over the house and randomly twisted the knobs.

The chest freeze is much less likely to be mis-adjusted that way. Leaving a lack of maintenance (frost buildup) as a potential source of malfunction. Some people have never seen the bottom of their chest freezer, since the day they bought it. And the bottom of it is lined with freezer-burned roasts :-) Chest freezers are like an archeology dig ("hey, this one says roast dinosaur!").

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Apparently many freezer packs use a high MW polyacrylate to raise the viscosity of the water, and prevent it freezing.

This, from

"Gel packs are often made of non-toxic materials that will remain a slow-flowing gel, and therefore will not spill easily or cause contamination if the container breaks. Gel packs may be made by adding (Cellusize),[2] sodium polyacrylate, or vinyl-coated silica gel." The alternative is conventional 'antifreeze', ethylene glycol, but because of its potentially toxic properties, it has generally been phased out. This, from
"Some early reusable ice packs contained very toxic substances such as diethylene glycol or ethylene glycol (antifreeze). These types of ice packs have been recalled and are generally no longer available."

The alternative explanation is that Pamela's freezer isn't working properly. As has been said elsewhere in this thread, she should check the temperature with a digital thermometer. If one isn't available, see if the ice pack goes solid in a friend's freezer.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Easy enough to do the sums. Breweries are potentially more dangerous places, my mate brought a Victorian one back to life and after a couple of decades the new factory inspector suggested he needed CO2 alarms. One of the rooms can reach a concentration that you can "taste" if you open a sliding door on the ground floor at certain stages in the process, but everyone there knows the fireman's rule for CO2 extinguishers. If you can taste it, get out. That space is a "special case", the door provides access to the "drain" from which casks are filled, it is only open at that stage and and with the door open the pooled gas rapidly flows out. For the rest of the building, a calc for max generation and very conservative assumptions about air changes showed there was no problem. The factory inspector accepted it without a quibble.

Reply to
newshound

There aren't really a lot of "nice" cryogenic materials.

"Three die in dry-ice incident at Moscow pool party"

"the partygoers had ordered 25kg of dry ice to cool down the pool at the Devyaty Val (Ninth Wave) complex."

You don't really want the dry ice to change state, all at once. Every gas has some place it would prefer to be, and CO2 is heavier than air.

Paul

Reply to
Paul