How can OIL STAIN Freeze

I got some exterior oil stain in early spring. I opened the cans recently and the stuff was thick like jello. I stirred and stirred and no matter how much it just stayed a thick blob. I took a brush and painted some of it on a scrap of wood and it left granules like sand on the wood. I've used this brand before and never had this problem with it.

I phoned the company and was told that it may have frozen. I told them that it did not freeze after I bought it, but maybe it did before I bought it. They said that there could be another problem too, and said they would replace it. I was pleased with the results despite the fact that I have to wait to get the replacement before I can finish the paint job, but what else can I do. After getting off the phone, I got to thinking about this. This is *OIL* Stain (Deck and House) stain. I have seen latex paint freeze and it does indeed seem to get the same consistency after freezing. So, this does seem like it could have frozen before I bought it. But once again, this is

*OIL* stain. How can oil stain freeze? Oil dont freeze ......
Reply to
jw

So it got cold last winter, maybe 10 to -10f. Oil stain isnt just oil there are alot of man made additives put in, they dont react well to extreme cold, I ruined oil paint when it got to maybe 10f - 0

Reply to
ransley

I would second this. It could have been a phase separation, i.e. solids precipitated out, or maybe, like gasoline, it oxidized and gelled.

Reply to
Frank

Hey, I know motor oil gets thicker in winter, but the cold dont ruin it, and in warm weather is just goes back to normal. But I can accept what ramsey said about the other components in the paint or stain getting bad from freezing, even though I would have thought that when suspended in oil it would not. Kind of makes me wonder if some oil based paints still contain some latex? If not, what parts would freeze? I have left some cans of the so called "enamel" (oil based) in the garage in winter and they were still ok. Guess I better keep all paint products in the house from now on. That includes caulking, because I've had that go bad from being outside in cold weather.

Reply to
jw

Before exterior latex was used I had oil paint get ruined if I left it out in the garage to about 0-10f, im sure there is even a moisture content of whats in oil products, The deep freeze must break something down chemicaly, or that minimal water is what ruins it.

Reply to
ransley

? Oil dont freeze ......

Lard. Coconut oil. Vaseline. Palm oil.

Reply to
Larry W

That seems to be the question no one can answer. I used to think it was the LATEX content, which somehow congealed or crystalized. But now that I have likely seen an oil based paint do the same, I really am not sure what it is. All I can say is that for some reason, latex paint after being frozen (and thawed), looks like water with lots of chunks of sand like grit in it. You can not stir it back to normal, I have tried. Somehow the solid part turns into these particles and the water is separated. The particles are actually non-disolvable, almost like they dried. Another way to explain the appearance is that it looks like cottage cheese, but much smaller curds.

I have always kept my latex paint indoors in winter, but I never suspected oil paint would do the same.

Now we need some paint expert to explain why this change occurs when paint is frozen. I have no clue.

Reply to
jw

Because something congeals it doesn't mean it freezes. Would you say wax freezes because it doesn't flow? That are additives and waxy molecules that freeze well below zero that thicken and inhibit oil from flowing...but the oil itself does not freeze.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Neither does the Ocean...but try to tell that to the ice road truckers.

****
jtees4

So then, wax forms microscopic crystals at room temperature and because oil is in a lump below zero it is frozen? You assuming a lot.

Reply to
Bob Villa

After a little thought process...metals have a crystalline structure...so you could say they were "frozen" (except mercury at normal temperatures). But motor oil, because it is in one lump...the oil itself is not frozen. It's the waxy additives that are frozen.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Now you're catching on. Iron freezes at about 1500 degrees, Mercury freezes at 40degrees below zero F. . . etc.

Oil freezes.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I don't presume that oil doesn't freeze...just not in the realm of earthly climatic conditions.

Reply to
Bob Villa

I stated that 20 min. before your post.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Evidently you are more interested in debating the definition of "frozen" then in understanding how low temperature can ruin oil stain in a can.

Reply to
Larry W