supermarket fuel

Irrespective of *where* the fuel is injected (manifold, pre-combustion chamber or direct into cylinder) it is the injection of a dose of fuel as a spray of tiny droplets which determines the moment of combustion - isn't it?

Or are you saying that some engines injected fuel into cool air during the induction stroke, then compressed the fuel-and-air mixture (as opposed to just the air) and let combustion occur when the air had been compressed to a high enough temperature? Didn't that make the timing of combustion extremely variable, without any control over the duration of combustion, whereas injection into the pre-heated air allows a long period of injection to give prolonged burn.

Reply to
NY

There are engines like that. I once had a two stroke compression ignition engine that did that. Used to drive a six inch prop.

Reply to
dennis

Also, you don't want the chance that detonation could occur *before* TDC otherwise the increased pressure of the combustion gases would try to turn the engine backwards - which at the very least if it only happened occasionally would result in dramatic loss of power as the engine has to "fight against" the rogue pre-TDC explosion.

It only needs the engine to get a bit hotter than normal and ignition-by-compression could occur before TDC.

Anyway, all modern diesels have one injector (at least) per cylinder and it is the moment of injection which determines the moment of combustion. I've never seen a diesel engine (turbo or non-turbo, direct or indirect injection) which didn't have one injector per cylinder.

Reply to
NY

OK. Fair enough.

But as the title of the thread is "supermarket fuel", let's confine ourselves to car (and van/lorry) engines. Are there any of those that ignite a fuel-and-air mixture by compression, rather than injecting fuel into combustion-heated air?

Reply to
NY

completely wrong unless you are thinking of the early hot bulb diesel engines from 1891

and even then the fuel was not injected into the manifold

-
Reply to
Mark

I can only assume that he's got it muddled with petrol injection. Not that he'll ever admit that...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

yes,. yes and yes, which is why it aint used much these days - i've only seen it on tractors

bastard to start - we ended up throwing a diesel soaked rag into the manifold and lighting it. Once started we closed up the manifold after removing rag

Gloplug was ineffective

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have - ancient tractor thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not made in the last 25 years, no

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So which car/van/lorry used manifold injection in 1990, or 1980, or 1970, or 1960, or even 1950?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've seen crankcase injection on small petrol engines, don't know if it was applied to larger two stroke diesels.

Reply to
Capitol

I can't see it ever being an attractive way of doing things. No control over "ignition" timing so probably only suitable for engines with very limited rev ranges.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But don't run on diesel.

Oh - their efficiency is horrendous. Scaled up, the equivalent of a car doing about 1 mpg.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Every Diesel car/van/truck engine made from as for back as 1950 has used either a swirl chamber or direct injection

the ignition, firing or start of burn call it what you like of a diesel is at the moment of injection of fuel into compressed heated air.

excluding of course model plane/boat CI engines that use "glow fuel" which is not a heavy Diesel oil at all.

Reply to
Mark

Injection into the manifold separates the injection timing from the combustion, promoting valve timing instead.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah, the Perkins Prima, as used in Maestros and Montegos...

Reply to
Adrian

none. twas a tractor

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Glow engines are methanol engines that ignite via catalytic reaction with a platinum glow plug.

They are NOT model diesel engines which are compression ignition 2-strokes running off paraffin and ether.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So which part of " let's confine ourselves to car (and van/lorry) engines. " did you fail to understand?

I don't believe the tractor was only 25 years old either.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The part that came after I had made that comment.

Believe what you want. I cant stop acts of faith and dogma ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher