supermarket fuel

And also handled pretty well.

What you have to remember is many base their views on these cars when bought as bangers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

3ply?
Reply to
Clive George

what's a 3ply road?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

well it buggered up my '98 merc fual senders over the last ten years.......

Reply to
Jimbo /p

but it has nice leather seats, wooden dash and a fancy grille .......

Reply to
Jimbo /p

I bough a post square wheel in 1976 and it was a disaster...worst car I ever had ....

Reply to
Jimbo /p

The designers for Plymouth in the USA who did it years before.

G,Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

...and they did it with style

Reply to
Jimbo /p

Did you have a test sample of identical cars, some run on supermarket, some run on branded, large enough to rule out an individual component failure?

No, thought not.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok how come it started working again with expensive 99 shell/bp ? ...

Reply to
Jimbo /p

I'd love to hear the logic of how this could possibly be...

You do know how a fuel sender works, yes? It's a simple float attached to a variable resistor.

Reply to
Adrian

Perhaps you drove faster over some sleeping policemen at around the same time and freed up the sender?

Reply to
Fredxxx

gosh never knew that...you mean the track can get gunged up then? ....well two in my case.....

Reply to
Jimbo /p

have to admit I pulled some left and right Gs to force fuel from one side of the tank that straddles the prop shaft to the other....as you say that was probably wot dun it ....

Reply to
Jimbo /p

I've never ever known one do that.

Even the fuel gauge in my ol' Landy - 35yo, with 15 of the last 18yrs off the road - works just fine without any "gunging up" of the track. Which, fwiw, isn't exposed to fuel.

But, then, I've never worked on a Merc, so it's entirely possible they have some half-arsed shonky cheap junk of a sender.

Reply to
Adrian

So "However a car adjusted to run on low grade fuel either by fixed design or automatically will still run better on better fuel" is complete nonsense. Better fuel inferred to be higher octane.

Reply to
Fredxxx

probably...I blame them going in with Chrysler...big mistake........

Reply to
Jimbo /p

Its not complere nonsense and I deliberately didn't say higher octane because there is a lot more to fuel than that,.

Sigh.

Once more, with feeliong.

You have a car, and you have tow grades of fuel. You adjust it to run at its best on one grade. It pinks like f*ck on the other, so you do your best with the other fuel to get it at least to run without damage. You achieve this. But now although its not as good as it was, on the high grade fuel, its still better on that than on the low grade fuel.

Does that now make sense?

If not you are brain dead and goodbye

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's a fuel sender?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't 'adjust' an engine to make the best use of a high octane fuel. It needs/allows things like a higher compression ratio.

You design the engine for a target octane rating. Knock sensors then alter the mapping if a lower octane rating fuel is used. There is no point using a higher octane rating than the engine is designed for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)