supermarket cuttings

In Tesco the other day, browsing the reduced items (as is my want), and found 2 packs of fresh rosemary down to 10p each, got to wondering if they would provide cuttings,so made the great investment. At home opened and found then in Good condition, so have taken 30 cuttings from the 2 packs. Has anyone else tried this way of getting cuttings? Could also work with mint and thyme.

Reply to
David Hill

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:31:04

+0100, "David Hill" did speak the following bit of wisdom:

Actually, yes I've done that with sprigs of rosemary. The plant tends to be so darned hardy and ready and willing to root, I can't imagine anyone not being able to propagate some almost at will.

  • * * * * Karen C. Southern CT / USDA Zone 6 Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"

Reply to
onewaits

It works with roses. I once took 4 cuttings from a supermarket rose, and all four, now adults, are in full flower in my garden.

Franz Heymann

Reply to
Franz Heymann

Yes, if there was a top ten list of plants easiest to propagate by cutting, rosemary would be in it. Roots promptly, resists occasional drought and is resistant to mold.

Reply to
simy1

I put 7 rosemary cuttings dusted with rooting hormone in moist vermiculite. Two out of the 7 rooted. I've read that usually half of the rosemary cuttings will root.

Reply to
Phisherman

Lee,

I'm very interested to hear about the ginger root... how do you do it?

Thanks Lisa

Reply to
Jaffacake

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There was a thread about a month ago about rooting rosemary. It seems that people who used rooting hormone had a success rate similar to yours, while those who didn't (maybe it was just me) had higher success rates. It wasn't clear if the success rate varied by cultivar. Mine was a bush- type, sorry don't know the name.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I agree, with such a small sample size, you really can't declare anything ... could also have been climate or other factors. But you might want to try without the rooting powder once to see how it goes. My survival rate was about 90% and plants hate me.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Reply to
Carolyn LeCrone

I use ginger root medicinally so some years back when i got a good fat root i took what i wanted for a tincture and laid the piece i had left out on top of the potting soil so the break could heal over, then put it in the potting soil just barely covered. it takes a long time, but eventually ...if it doesn't rot from being over-watered... it will sprout. Under the right conditions, it could make a tree, but is not good for zone 7 for outside winters i don't think, so i treated it like a house plant in the winter. Actually, i grew it in my solarium, but sold and now don't have the plant nor the solarium.

I think there are pic of ginger trees on the net, so you could see what they look like. love..leona

Reply to
Lee

Also Lemon Grass

Reply to
Garrapata

I try this with Rosemary for a long time, but it never works. Same with Thyme.

Good experience with Mint, Oregano, Sage, Chives, Basil.

What c> In Tesco the other day, browsing the reduced items (as is my want), and

Reply to
ar

/sobs

That takes me back. I used to love Tesco and Sainsbury's. Now it's Wal-Mart, Target and Kroger.

I'm pleased that you can still find a good price on a potted plant over here. Good idea for the cuttings too.

-- Lynda

Reply to
Purple Linny LeCompte

I prepared 7 rosemary cuttings last spring, dusted with Rotenone, in moist vermiculite. Three rooted in 5 weeks, then potted up. Two of the three survived and are now just under 1 foot tall, growing in the ground in full sun.

Reply to
Phisherman

"..... Chives, Basil........" You must be talking of growing from pot grown herbs, neither basil or chives would grow from cuttings.

Regarding the cuttings I referred to in the original posting , the rosemary had a take of over 75% and I have had good results with Thyme in the past as well.

Reply to
David Hill

Reply to
user

"................ . At what temperature do you grow your rosemary? Greenhouse conditions with high humidity? ......."

The cuttings were rooted in the greenhouse, but rosemary grows quite happily out of doors here.

Reply to
David Hill

Well, *chives* wouldn't, but I've rooted basil cuttings in water. Wish I had as much success with rosemary. I seem to be a natural-born rosemary killer. :-(

Reply to
Frogleg