Yes folks, its cheaper to heat with electricity!

Apropos of something else, I was moved to research my energy costs.

Night time electricity is currently 4.85p per Kwh.

Oil is a staggering 54p a liter.

Oil energy density is 37.5MJ /liter. Which with a 100% efficient boiler is still 5.184p per Kwh.

Does anyone make electrical central heating boilers?

I have UFH, which is tantamount to a big f*ck-off storage radiator anyway !

;-)

If my existing boiler was as low as 50% efficient (its non condensing oil boiler) I might expect electricity to be cheaper in the daytime a well.

Thank god for nookoleer powah!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just find something radioscary to irradiate yer gonads for a few minutes. Once done, you will be able to go through the rest of ye life without ever paying a heating bill again. The "ready break" method:-)

Reply to
Adrian C

But it wont be a very LONG life will it?

I had sorta hoped to see in 2020

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi, I fitted one of these for a client about four or five years ago - has worked flawlessly and he is very impressed with it:-

Will

I hope to see in 2050! If I live to the same age as my Dad make that

2053...

As for electric boilers yes:

decent hit from google. Seem to max out at 12kW.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

With the amount of hot air you produce,what do you need central heating for anyway ?

Reply to
geoff

Hmm. How much power can you get?

I am semi seriously considering this to do the 'wee small hours' winter UFH heating.

And how much do they cost, and what amperage do they need to run..and how do you switch them on and off..bloody great 50A Triac?

Although my total heating requirements are allegedly 10Kw, I dont think the actual UFH could absorb much more than 5Kw without overheating the screed.

I could run the boiler and the immersion of a switched circuit maybe..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rather a lot, the biggest I've fitted was 40A.

can get significantly larger 3ph ones.

Traditionally you just use a contactor, many economy seven systems had them, I've just thrown half a dozen away. You can get MCB style 40A contactors that fit inside your/a consumer unit.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Go for the radiation YKIMS

Reply to
geoff

I knew you hadn't killfiled me, it just needed a bit of taunting

ha ha

Reply to
geoff

So lie on the floor and cover yourself with kittens. They'll keep you warm.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They vary in rating, but as I recall, it was 300 odd quid, soft start electronics and timers etc on board - so only need a domestic supply (ie from main board - 24/7), the one I fitted drew 50 Amps at 240V. Can be controlled by normal tankstat, roomstat etc. they have several elements within, so "modulate" dependant upon temperature set and present temperature attained (by the boiler itself - not the room temp etc.)

Reply to
Will

That's probably on account of the electricity supply restrictions. One of the models went to 14.4KW which equates to around 60A, which is actually the fuse limit on many domestic supplies.

Mmm. It really not that hard is it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have,but not in this NG...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah. The thermal inertia of kittens is rather small.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One solution would be a heat bank with immersion heaters. A decent sized one could run the UFH directly and supply the hot water.

for instance.

auctions

In message , at 08:41:27 on Sat, 26 Apr 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

And, of course, places like Cambridge are maxed out on the wholesale supply of electricity. So you can't just build some nooclear power stations, sell everyone electrical heating, without a lot of other infrastructure upgrades as well.

Reply to
Roland Perry

No Gas out your way then?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Roland Perry scribeth thus

Their building a new additional line from the Burwell super grid station to supply Cambridge. In fact it should be built by now...

Reply to
tony sayer