Yes folks, its cheaper to heat with electricity!

I'd guess this applies to the whole country - if everyone presently heating with oil changed to electricity. Plus the fact that very few houses will have a supply large enough to directly replace an oil fired system anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe you'd be better with a maturer pussy? ;-)

Reply to
cerberus

Very likely and the availabilty of suitably rated protection/switching k= it without going fully industrial. Though several have "soft start" so your= lights don't suddenly go dim they fade down... B-) I wonder what the ti= me constant of the "soft start" is?

No, and we already have E7 but on Equipower, it would have to change to =

another supplier/tarrif if we actually started to use it. Interesting concept to plug into the drawing board overall heatbank/store system. I'= d thought about solar, a wood burner, oil and wind electic but not mains electic but with off peak mains cheaper than oil it makes sense.

Needs an intelligent controller to use the cheapest(*) energy source(s) =

before the expensive ones like oil. Would be nice to have it able to pre-emtively signal that it was about to use something "expensive" and would you like to light the wood burner...

(*) As in cost per kWhr excluding capital. So the solar and wind electri= c are "free", oil and electric are easy to put a figure on the p/kwhr not = so sure about wood. Any one any rough ideas on p/kwhr for wood based on say= =A340/tonne?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The lights would start to go out. What was the figure for the number of homes heated by oil bandied about not long ago 1.5 million? Say 15kw/home, that would be another 22.5GW required on the nationa supply I don't think the available winter margin is quite that large...

ISTR that the linesmen who came to adjust the tapping on our transformer said it was capable of 25kW or 100A. The pole fuses are 200A, the incomer

100A. Pity the oil boiler is 35.2kW output...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And you run your tumble dryer for an hour 5 times a week?

Hmmm.

Reply to
magwitch

If I recall rightly you have an overlarge unvented cylinder. A more powerful immersion can be fitted, or two if two bosses available. Then a take off using a bronze pump and a plate heat exchanger to mesh into the heating circuit. Then you have the electricity and oil available.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie, your insight is fabulous. Fantastic indeed. You are a breath of fresh air, clearly physcadelic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , at 10:12:50 on Sat, 26 Apr

2008, tony sayer remarked:

One town down, several hundred more to go.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:08:37 on Sat, 26 Apr 2008, magwitch remarked:

Yes (it's running now, I just measured the power, it's 1.3Kw).

Five loads of washing then drying a week. That's just over one per person.

Reply to
Roland Perry

There's a thought. How many KWh does a hot sex session liberate?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The good news is I dont live in Cambridge anymore, and have my own substation. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most houses can go to 10Kw or so..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are several of these about ... but of more interest would be:

1) heat pump ... remarkably more efficient, air-air easy enough but ground to air, or water to air even better

can be linked to geothermal storage if you want maximum efficiency.

2) Home power plant ... not only heat house & water, but produce energy that you sell back to grid ... this at the moment is the most efficient system around (at least one that you can control .. unlike wind or solar)
Reply to
Rick Hughes

No, but its going to happen anyway if fuel prices stay at current levels.

I estimate a 2:1 grid uplift to get off gas and oil, and a 3:1 to get rid of road fuel as well with leccy cars.

And 100 nuclear power stations, or a quarter million windmills 'the size of a jumbo jet' instead.

Blimey. Is that a combi? or just a very large house?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only what the border terrier produces...when he's been at the cat food.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite a few old economy seven installs have 63A 3ph.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thats what Linux is for innit?

A few radiio stats, and radio operated control valves and the like ;-)

Nuclear is about 0.1p/Kwh fuel wise.

Looks like wood is about 17MJ/kg, which is 4.7kWh/kg, or 4700 units per tonne.

So its break even at around 30% stove efficiency, at todays prices. Vis a vis off-peak leccy/oil.

However what it would do to pollution, and to wood prices,if everybody started doing it doesn't bear thinking about.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not a lot of use for central heating is it tho?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interested in that too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You did not understand. The unvented cylinder is converted to a thermal store. The hot water in the cylinder is pumped through a plate heat X which then heats the FUN.

All you need is:

- a plate heat X. A 100kW will do, as used in Gledhill Systemates (about £80-90)

- a Bronze pump (about £60 on Ebay)

- A more powerful immersion heater (around £100)

- some pipework and fitting.

You say you only need 10kW for the house. A 9 to 12kW immersion, which can fit a 2 1/4" bosse will do. You have the advantage of storing the heat over night and then a ready supply of hot water. You say the UFH can only absorb

5kW, so no probs.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel