supermarket fuel

30+ years ago I was in digs with someone who worked at one of the refineries in the Southampton area. His job was checking the tankers in and out of the filling points. He stated that all the tankers in the area, irrespective of what brand/supermarket was on the side of tank, all filled up from the same source.
Reply to
alan_m

You missed out the little fold down tables in the seat backs which were probably not intended to hold a glass of ale to save downing it quickly but did so quite nicely, or a bottle of brown. That's what we used em for anyway when it was my mates turn to drive us on the regular pub crawl around the county.His was actually a 1300 and he was a well off bugger compared to the rest of us 19 - 20 year old Herberts who had Anglias ,Minis, Vivas etc. I think his Dad had bought it for him. It may be considered a joke car now but when rolling up in it at a posh hostelry it was a bit of a Q car the landord and his clientele not having time to prepare defences before we got to the bar.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The Allegro was amusing just by being an Allegro. Which bozo thought of having a square ("quartic") steering wheel, given that the whole point of a steering wheel is that it is circular and rotates about its centre so it feeds easily through your hands as you turn it. Any "lumps" in the circle make this very difficult.

Reply to
NY

That's not necessarily strictly true; tankers normally have several compartments. Nevertheless, I agree that the non-premium products might very well be the same.

Reply to
newshound

Agreed, a very good link.

Reply to
newshound

No. it doesn't mean that Go and read up on IC engine theory

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Generally speaking, a knock sensor only retards the ignition from the mapped setting. And the vast majority of UK cars are mapped to run on 95 octane.

Some high performance models are mapped for 98 octane - but not many.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gives you more leg clearance and better view over the top. Or that's the idea. And perhaps to look more like a racing car - after all, the Allegro was only one step away from that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could they put the fancy additives in separately?

Reply to
Adam Funk

That reminds me of the sign

SEPTIC TANKS PUMPED SWIMMING POOLS FILLED NOT SAME TRUCK

Reply to
Adam Funk

I would suggest you read up on the differences between high and low octane fuels.

IC theory is all very good but quite clearly you don't understand pre-ignition and the consequences of slow burn-high octane fuels.

Next you'll be saying high octane fuels contain more energy.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Very laudable - but a wheel should be *round*, dammit :-) Anyway, it's only better leg clearance until you turn the wheel slightly and one of the lumps bashes your thigh.

Ah yes, I was forgetting about the Allegro SRi twin-turbo V8 3.5 litre :-)

Mind you, the elastic (sorry, Hydrolastic) suspension might have limited its road-holding on a race track :-)

I still reckon an Allegro with a Rolls Royce / Van den Plas radiator grille looks especially absurd.

Reply to
NY

The wheel og my Citroën C2 is round but mounted off-centre: there is more legroom when it is in the straight-ahead position.

Reply to
DJC

My only experience of driving an Allegro was when I picked one up from the company pool for a trip to Spain, back in the mid 1970s. I drove it straight to Southampton, cruised to Balboa, then drove across country to Valencia. Usually, half of the road was tarmac, but it could be the left side, the right side, or the middle bit. Worked at the new Ford Fiesta plant for a few months, then drove back to Balboa overnight to meet the ferry leaving at 9 am, driving straight on board without even turning off the engine. I was happy to return the Allegro to its home. It had been reliable, though.

Reply to
Davey

One of mantras that used to do the rounds that was just about dying off in the mid sixties concerned the JET brand of petrol. One of the earliest suppliers of cheaper fuel against the established suppliers many users believed the story that it was cheaper because the company obtained it from left over goverment stocks of Pool petrol from WW2.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In principle hydropneumatic suspension of some sort can give excellent roadholding. The Citroen XM is a case in point.

Reply to
cl

There's no need for any fancy engine management gizmos to make a car petroleum spirit agnostic as anyone who owned a 1970s Lada (eg my dear departed Papa) would be able to tell you.

There was an under the bonnet octane rating adjustment. Basically it amounted to a calibrated ignition advance/retard adjustment with a vernier thumb screw.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Yes! Jet. That was the name I was trying to remember earlier, and yes, Jet was the subject of many a story, probably all untrue.

Reply to
News

Only if it has knock sensors or other ways of detecting and actually capitalising on the better fuel's properties. Not all cars show improvements with premium fuels.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've no idea what size of tank this garage may have had but surely using a bucket would take forever to make a significant difference. Why not use a hosepipe?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+