Stainless Steel effect paint

Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

On one of the home-improvement shows, I saw the designer use a (fairly thin) sheet of _self-adhesive stainless_, to cover the front of a kitchen appliance. I don't remember what the brand was, but obviously the stuff exists - it could, if neatly done, look better than the paint.

Reply to
S Viemeister

This may look better:

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The problem with any type of laminate is that these drawers have a 6mm radius on the edges so getting it to bend around it and still fit nicely in the corners is going to be a bit of a problem.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

The don't give you much information do they? Is there anything on that page that says how big a piece you get for that price?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

When I saw "HSS" I assumed I was going to see a picture of an angle grinder for some reason!!

Reply to
Toby

Reply to
S Viemeister

How long is a tin of paint?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just about as long as a piece of string.

Reply to
S Viemeister

how thick is your head?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not as I can see, but this comes at £20 per metre x 600mm wide:

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

10% smaller than the room.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Good answer...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about using thin sheet stainless steel?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think any form of stick-on solution is a non-starter because of the radiused edges. Which is why I was looking for some form of spray-on option.

If I was starting from scratch then it I would probably use square edges and stick on a sheet.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

That should not really be a problem for vinyl sheet. If I were using real stianless steel, I would form the radius first then stick it on.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I presume the OP is on about the corners of his drawer where two radiuses edges meet - a la skirting board external corner....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Probably the best paint to look at is that sold for model plastic cars etc. Tamiya do a very good chrome. Spray is needed too, and metallic finishes are VERY tricky to get right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is clever stuff that paint. It always knows how big the room is.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It might be tricky if the corner is also radiused, but I don't see a problem with making a good joint if two curved edges meet at right angles, which is what I would expect from most drawer fronts.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar