Screwfix, Luton

Screwfix in Luton opened yesterday (Friday). It's just a trade counter so you can't browse around, unfortunately. Open until 8pm weekdays and 6pm weekends. There's 10% off for callers through to Sunday 26th.

It's in Bilton Way industrial estate off Dallow Road, which is not far from the Luton B&Q which was demolished earlier this year, and Watford Electronics.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is it like Argos, were you give a number and they give you a box?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Yes. Actually you get a bacon sandwitch and a T-shirt too for the first 3 days if you spend enough. I didn't bother collecting my bacon sandwitch though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It all sounds good.

I'll just have to work out if it's worth driving the 20 miles each way to save on carriage with fuel currently at 90.09p a litre round this way.

Good if I need something in an emergency though.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Buy yourself a tractor, and use red diesel ........

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Now there's an idea! But how much is a tractor I wonder?

Isn't there a big illegal trade in red diesel? Apparently they filter it through cat litter to remove the red dye.

Reply to
RedOnRed

There were a pile of Irish who got caught. Nowdays you have to have a pile of paperwork to be able to buy the stuff. Its designed to ensure you have a legal use for it.

However most diesel cars will run on chip fat, there was one town, that was taking a huge percentage of the countries chip fat supplies into the big supermarkets. Didn't take the customs guys long to figure that one out.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

How about cheap cooking oil? You can buy that in bulk. well under 80p a litre. I believe following one is like following a chip shop because of the smell.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You could do that but you would have to tell the Revenue who would charge you the fuel duty on top, you could of course conveniently forget.

This is a bit of a giveaway if you choose to forget about the duty, bye bye car hello fines :-)

Henry

Reply to
Henry

In the US the taxman does not penalise cars run on used cooking oil, as it is a clean burning fuel.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Bloke round here was caught doing that about ten years ago - he is still inside I believe.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Yep it's always struck me as rather stupid that the government subsidise LPG (albeit now at a sliding rate) and yet will not do the same for recycled cooking fat which is effectively a carbon neutral fuel.

Mind you, look at the rest of our wonderful government's energy policy. For example they will subsidise hugely expensive and inneficient windfarms that piss off local residents yet are unwilling to invest the money in bringing the country's housing stock up to the highest standards of energy efficiency. Still insulation hidden away in peoples lofts and wall cavities isn't quite as prominent as 150 foot tall turbines to the gullible masses who believe we a saving the planet with such silly things.

Who bets that that we won't have new nuclear stations planned by 2020?

Henry

Reply to
Henry

In article , Doctor Evil writes

You could try washing yourself in something a bit more useful than the arthritic dribble from the typical combi. Then you wouldn't smell quite so much.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Not perfect, but not that bad either. I would hate to see what it would be like with the other clowns in charge.

Inefficient? The energy is free - the wind. There is a move to build off-shore wind farms, many have been commissioned. The UK is European windiest country, so utilising the wind is lots of common sense. I would rather see a wind farm on fields with cows under them than a nuclear power plant.

The country is full of NIMBY's. Country people are perpetual whingers anyway.

The government was last week slagged for demolishing Victorian terraces. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on TV. It is cheaper in 90% of cases to build from scratch new homes than renovate old insulationless solid brick walled old crap. Few renovated homes can match a new house in insulation standards and low energy consumption.

Also the building regs are being hyped up in the next few years to make the UK the most insulated country on earth, when you take into account the temperate climate we have.

You have a point and more should be done to insulate older homes. But resistance to this is high. Just look at the how people here dismiss high levels of insulation. The point is we have far too many old house. Most of these are just old nothing else. Not nice, not good, just old and small and use energy like crazy. These should go.

There is talk of them coming back. There is no need for it, if higher insulation levels are pushed, better air-tight homes, higher efficient appliances, better town planning so people can walk to the shops, which means rolling back supermarkets (yippee), distributed power generation using MicroCHP Stirling motor generators (being implemented in Manchester right now), more off-shore wind farms. By the way about 3% of the UK has Combined Heat and Power, and increasing. Leicester has a strategic plan to make all the city CHP. District CHP should be mandatory.

There is a hell of a lot more the government can do, but they have also done, and are doing, quite a bit too. If the other clowns were in we would be doing a Bush and ignoring Kyoto - those clowns would lick the boots of the oil companies.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

This one is totally confused. Probably tanked up.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

[...]

Relatively little involvement. That's good at least.

Not exactly when the total picture is considered. Backup generation such as gas powered generation has to be provisioned for when there is insufficient wind generation.

I'd rather see balanced use of different forms of energy including nuclear.

NIMBY's what? Is there something that he owns?

Quite right too.

That is surprising. You normally believe everything.

Perhaps people prefer to have a choice and don't like government interference in their selection of a place to live.

Nobody does that. Only high levels of *inappropriate* insulation

Has anybody asked the owners which they would prefer?

Good thing too.

In appropriate situations and applications

will people be provided with personal oxygen supplies?

good idea

good idea, especially those that are going broke anyway

Communist nonsense. Take a look at East Berlin prior to 1989 (the system there never worked), or at Moscow today where pipes nearly 2m high snake around the streets at ground level.

Most of it is window dressing, and they are particularly good at that.

Have you expressed these views to Mr. Kennedy?

Reply to
Andy Hall

20 miles, that's still illegal so you might just as well put it in a car and get nicked. When we were young almost (twice) reduced to bankruptcy and not really able to make the mortgage payments most months our only transport was a tractor, wife used to take the kids to school on it.
Reply to
Mark

The problems are when it isn't and would you like one outside the window of your flat?

I don't know anybody, apart from you perhaps, who would having their own home, would willingly move into public housing to reduce pollution. Hence we are talking about compulsion.

Economy of scale. Cheap materials. Mobile population..

... and where does their money come from, n*****ts?

Er no. It is low-ish because of nuclear energy and hydroelectric generation and a small population. Fossil fuel use through imported electricty to meet peak demand is increasing because nuclear capacity has been reduced.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have only seen them in areas where they cause no harm.

Compulsion with cars too. Live in a motor home and if it fails the MOT you can't move.

They still manage to do it without fuss.

The sky?

..and CHP.

I should think so.

to open account