Screwfix to open trade counter in Bristol

I thought some of you might be interested to hear that Screwfix are opening a trade counter in Bedminster (Malago Road), Bristol.

For some reason this 'news' seems to have been kept pretty quiet... not even any mention on their website as far as I can see... This is despite the opening date apparently being 21st Jan.

Finally, in case they're of use to anyone, the opening times will be M-F 7am-8pm, Sa 8am-6pm.

Mathew

Reply to
googlenews

Cooo! Noticed on the front cover of the Sfix cat which arrived by post today that they're opening a trade counter, thought "no use to me or

98%+ of their customer base, bound to be somewhere far away".

Instead, they choose to put it a couple of miles away from me (and about the same distance from at least one other uk.d-i-y regular). Count *us* among the Privileged Two Percent!

Perhaps this is their way of persuading me never to repeat the scurillous and scrophulous substitution of their final vowel by the one just to its left on the QWERTY keyboard when we were all suffering their delivery foulups in the summer? ... Ahh, sweet megalomania - like paranoia without the worry....

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Perhaps it's to compete with Toolstation........

Reply to
Andy Hall

They'll be opening a counter in Yeovil next..... !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Here's a thought: I wonder if the local B&Q's in Bristol (we've got numerous; the majority of which are 'Warehouses') will 'price match' Screwfix (+10% of difference) despite them both being part of the same group....?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

You could be right...

Given that the owner of Toolstation used to own Screwfix maybe they're 'getting him back' for setting up another business almost identical to the one he'd offloaded?!

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

That reminds me, the large B&Q Warehouse on the west side of Luton is closing down. It's already half empty. I think the last day is currently planned as 12 February, but it's had a couple of stays of execution before. The reason is the building has subsided, and it has to be demolished and rebuilt. I haven't seen a reopening date stated, but there was some comment about see you again next year, so presumably

2006 sometime.

B&Q were trying to get temporary planning permission to use one of the old car factory warehouses 2 miles away in Dunstable for a year, but I've heard nothing about that recently, so I guess it fell through -- traffic through Dunstable was a major concern. (The irony is they moved to their current warehouse from Dunstable originally.)

There is still a small B&Q the east side of Luton in Gypsy lane.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Must have used their 'own-brand' concrete :-)

Reply to
Mike

Is there a closing down sale?

Reply to
IMM

Theres been a closing down sale for the last year or thereabouts. Every time they planned to close it, it stayed open for another few months, then they restocked it, and sold all the re-stocked items off cheap again (ad inifinitum)

I managed to get some bargains. At one point ALL wallpaper was =A31 a roll, so i got a load of =A313 a roll wallpaper really cheap. Saw one guy who must have bought enough super fresco to paper a small town. I bet that went on ebay.

Got a load of flat pack stuff really cheap as well.

Subsisdance isnt the word. More like its falling into a giant effing hole. If you let go of your trolley in the middle of the paint section, it will roll to the other end of the store. Pretty empty now though, not worth a journey out of your way.

Reply to
Mark Trueman

Thinking of volunteering? It's not that far from Milton Keynes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well spotted! It's not far from St Albans, Hemel Hempstead and Leighton Buzzard either.

Reply to
IMM

"A DIY superstore hit by subsidence has felt the earth move again ? rocked by claims of a sex scandal involving its workers.

Bosses of retail giant B&Q this week launched an inquiry after allegations that Luton employees have been vanishing during shifts for "kinky romps".

The company recently announced it wants £34 million damages from the designers and builders of its Dallow Road warehouse, because of structural cracks caused by subsidence.

Now it appears the earth is moving again ? this time due to alleged staff sex sessions in the aisles and toilets."

a new spin on 'Workmate' !

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Of the things I tend to be interested in, I found very little being sold off cheap. I did hear staff talking about transfering stock to the other (much smaller) B&Q in Luton, so they may not be intending to completely empty it by selling the lot off.

If you look at the internal brick walls such as where the offices are, I think the filler they've shoved in the cracks is thicker than a course of bricks. At least they didn't have to go far to find it. ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The smaller B+Q has taken a lot of the stock from the closing one. They have changed the layout a lot and it now seems to have a lot more there.

Although they didnt have any mortice gauges in there when i popped in the other day in search of one.

I wonder if there is a "Shagging Room" out back.? Based on the people who worked in the old "sex hive" b+q, there must be some pretty desperate people about.

Reply to
Mark Trueman