Screwfix trade counters

Had an hour to kill today waiting for my car to be finished so popped into the Screwfix trade counter that has just (yesterday) opened in Canterbury.
As they had 10% off everything and free burgers and hot dogs it was rather busy (unsurprisingly) but while I was there I thought I'd stock up on some filler I've been meaning to order for age and pickup some more screws but they had none of the filler and and were also out of stock on the screws.
A freind went in later to get a load of dry lining boxes and again, they had none in stock.
Is this common at the trade counters (in which case I'll carry on ordering online) or is this just the opening weekend offer rush?
I'm hoping they normally have plenty of stock and it'll be handy to drop in during my lunch break but if stock is hit and miss I'll pass...
Darren
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:49:37 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote:

Oooh...didn't know that! Mind, it's the 'wrong' side of the city for me...
Are these trade counters still easy to use if you're a general punter? (I know you aren't a builder, Darren....)

Disregard the TRADE name . It's like Argos .You fill in a wee slip with the items you want and take it to the counter .they check if the stuff is in stock first ( well the Glasgow one does) then you pay for it and take the slip they give you and the stuff gets brought out and they shout out your number . I've been in a couple of times and everything I wanted was in stock . Stuart

It's actually worse than Argos (if that were possible).
If this arrangement were set up properly, one would be able to order on their web site and collect from the trade counter without the hit and miss of whether or not the items are in stock.
All in all, somewhat useless when it could easily be considerably better.

heh
Yep. that would be perfect. They are obviously linked up somehow as they knew my name from my postcode and my previous (online) orders.

This particular one happens to be on my way home so it's not much effort to pop in and check but yeah, it's gonna get annoying if the out of stock thing happens too much.
Anyone know if they attempt to stock everything from the catalogue (bar special order things)? It certainly looked that way. If so, there must be a fair amount of stuff that they can only hold one or two off - the place isn't *that* big really.
Darren
On Sat, 10 Feb 07 21:05:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote:
|! |!>It's actually worse than Argos (if that were possible). |! |!heh |! |!>If this arrangement were set up properly, one would be able to order on |!>their web site and collect from the trade counter without the hit and |!>miss of whether or not the items are in stock. |! |!Yep. that would be perfect. They are obviously linked up somehow as they |!knew my name from my postcode and my previous (online) orders.
No! the use a CDROM with all addresses in the UK on it. My address on the CDROM has a parculiarity which allows me to spot where they got it.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org

No, I don't think so.
I gave him my surname and postcode - he said "Is that Darren?"
He also seemed to know I'd ordered with them before.
I never gave him my name - and even if he had a cdrom with all the names and addresses on I'd not given him my house number and half of our street share the postcode.
Darren
On Sun, 11 Feb 07 12:47:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote:
|! |!>|!Yep. that would be perfect. They are obviously linked up somehow as they |!>|!knew my name from my postcode and my previous (online) orders. |! |!>No! the use a CDROM with all addresses in the UK on it. |!>My address on the CDROM has a parculiarity which allows me to spot where |!>they got it. |! |!No, I don't think so. |! |!I gave him my surname and postcode - he said "Is that Darren?" |! |!He also seemed to know I'd ordered with them before. |! |!I never gave him my name - and even if he had a cdrom with all the names |!and addresses on I'd not given him my house number and half of our |!street share the postcode.
AFAIK the CDROM also has names and *definitely* other things attached to house numbers. A shop which I have never had dealings with knows a lot about me from postcode and house number.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
On Sun, 11 Feb 07 12:47:58 GMT, dmc wrote:

I assume he got this from your order history. Last time I was in an outlet the guy behind the counter took the same info from me and then told me how many catalogues/flyers they had sent me (IIRC it was over 60 in the past 5 years) as well as when my last order was. I don't know if he was showing off or just bored.
Pete
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
|!On Sun, 11 Feb 07 12:47:58 GMT, dmc wrote:
|!> |!>>|!Yep. that would be perfect. They are obviously linked up somehow as they |!>>|!knew my name from my postcode and my previous (online) orders. |!> |!>>No! the use a CDROM with all addresses in the UK on it. |!>>My address on the CDROM has a parculiarity which allows me to spot where |!>>they got it. |!> |!> No, I don't think so. |!> |!> I gave him my surname and postcode - he said "Is that Darren?" |!> |!> He also seemed to know I'd ordered with them before. |!> |!> I never gave him my name - and even if he had a cdrom with all the names |!> and addresses on I'd not given him my house number and half of our |!> street share the postcode. |!> |!> Darren |!> |!I assume he got this from your order history. Last time I was in an |!outlet the guy behind the counter took the same info from me and then |!told me how many catalogues/flyers they had sent me (IIRC it was over |!60 in the past 5 years) as well as when my last order was. I don't |!know if he was showing off or just bored.
Thanks for the warning, I often refuse to give my details using the excuse that I get too much Junk Mail.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org

From personaly experience, I wouldn't worry too much about that with screwfix. I find that if I don't order for a while then I start not getting the cataloges just a leaflet telling me there is a new one and some offers/flier about new ranges.
Seems a whole lot better than blindly sending out endless catalogues to be thrown away and I don't really class this as junk mail (something which I hate - both electronic and otherwise)
Darren

Quite. I'm pretty certain he had access to more than a cd of addresses and names...
Darren

If you have ordered via phone or internet before, all that info is available to the guys in the Shops via the computer having given them your postcode.
Tim. .
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:48:37 +0000 Dave Fawthrop wrote :

Except mine (business): when I buy stuff at PC World and ask for a VAT receipt they type in the office postcode and up pops a list of all the businesses here ... except mine. We've only been here since 2002!

|!
|!>
|!>> |!>>> Had an hour to kill today waiting for my car to be finished so popped into |!>>> the Screwfix trade counter that has just (yesterday) opened in Canterbury. |!>> |!>> Oooh...didn't know that! Mind, it's the 'wrong' side of the city for |!>> me... |!>> |!>> Are these trade counters still easy to use if you're a general punter? |!>> (I know you aren't a builder, Darren....) |!> |!> Disregard the TRADE name . It's like Argos .You fill in a wee slip |!> with the items you want and take it to the counter .they check if the |!> stuff is in stock first ( well the Glasgow one does) then you pay for |!> it and take the slip they give you and the stuff gets brought out and |!> they shout out your number . I've been in a couple of times and |!> everything I wanted was in stock . |!> Stuart |! |!It's actually worse than Argos (if that were possible). |! |!If this arrangement were set up properly, one would be able to order on |!their web site |!and collect from the trade counter without the hit and miss of whether |!or not the items |!are in stock. |! |!All in all, somewhat useless when it could easily be considerably better.
<aol> I was also very disappointed with our local Screwfix trade counter. I will stick to the sheds where I can see what I am buying. </aol>
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org

OK, thanks. Useful to know.
(dmc) wrote:

But unlike Argos, they dont publisise the trade centers phone number so you cant phone before hand and check on stock... (though the lads will happily give you their number if you ask in the shop)
Tim.
Tim.. wrote:

That's very willing of them, above and beyond the call of duty! ;-)
Owain

Parking is a bit of a pain (they don't seem to have more than about 4 spaces - all of which were full with a burger van and a powertool demo tent) but there is the big pay'n'display (or park in iceland etc ;-))

Yeah. Think Argos with more staff, less gold hoops earings and pushchairs and free coffee while you wait.
Stacks of catalogues, write down the numbers of what you want and queue up (only took a couple of mins even though it was packed). They check your order is in stock, you pay and get a number. You then hang until they yell your number out. Again, quick despite being packed. Only took me 20mins to browse the catalogue, order and collect my stuff, have a coffee and a free burger and chat with the (bored) guy on the powertool display. Could be dead handy if the stock levels pan out ok.
What I really want is to be able to order and check stock online and then just go pick it up. I dunno if you can ring them and order - I didn't see anything suggesting a ring and reserve type service.
Darren

You used to be able to ring them and order stuff to pick up, and I have done so a few times.
The service was withdrawn a while ago, and my local Trade Counter (Luton) told me it was because there were too many instances of people ordering stuff and not bothering to collect it.
They said it was still possible to ring and check the stock, but you'd have to be lucky to actually get someone to answer the phone. Last time I spoke to Yeovil, they said they weren't able to check branch stock levels on their system.
The staffing levels can get a bit like Argos or your local bank at times. I was in there during the week and there was only one till manned. When the bloke went away to query something with his supervisor I gave up and came home as the queue to order stuff was growing and there were still several people waiting for orders to be filled.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!