Screwfix becomes Fix

Went to local Screwfix counter today to buy some Turbo Ultra screws. Did the usual, just about to pay and chap said they didn't have any. Offered to get them order in - for Thursday.

There was a notice about supply problems with the Far East. I think Mr Medway (or someone) mentioned pollution reduction measures for the Olympics. Sounds like a bad joke to me.

Overheard chap at counter talked about things in catalogue that are actually order only - but not identified - so lots of people come in expecting them to be in stock and are disappointed. Other people clearly also having problems getting their orders filled.

Are they really going down the pan? Certainly how it feels.

Reply to
Rod

Sounds more like Screw than Fix

Reply to
sleepingtiger

My local branch has a local area you can call to check whether they have any item in stock. Unfortunately, you can't place an order by phone, which is pretty silly as this would force me to go there twice anyway. The reason for this is that counters expect orders to be paid upfront and collected later... Maybe they will introduce trade accounts (and possibly a Screwfix credit card... nectar points... you never know)

W.

Reply to
Woland

What size?

T'was me - I was told that a few weeks ago. Guess its possible. No notice when I went in.

I must say I've been pleasantly surprised overall with my local SF. Things I didn't expect them to have - tennon arris rail brackets, letterboxes, weed control fabric, towel rails, garage door draught strips, sliding door gear - they had. Realistically they couldn't hold everything in such a small building.

Turbogold coach screws are the only inconvenience I've suffered.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, forgot to mention that to Rod, they have cards with the branch number on. I use that all the time to save wasted journeys.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Rod writes

I am by no means a regular at my local screwfix, but I would say that on each of my recent visits there has always been something on my order that wasn't in stock.

Turbogold included :-(

Reply to
somebody

There *was* a notice in ours today...

(Still they had the 5 1/8" twinthreads I went in for ;-)

Only one I have failed on so far is a multimaterial diamond disc for the angle grinder

Reply to
John Rumm

The have already, since a few years ago at least.

It's a 30-day credit account, no big-brother points though.

Unfortunately they haven't yet caught up with the late C20 and let you set up a direct debit to pay it off when its due, so there's always the faff of manually setting up a transfer to go through a few days before the due date to get there in time. Or I suppose I could send a cheque to make them do a bit of work too (maybe write it out with a quill pen on the back of their invoice :-))

OT: had a droid from the *fix empire call me yesterday to ask if I thought the Plumbfix £100 minimum order was excessive (they seemed to have a bee about that: actually I'm not too bothered) and would I be using them again (yes, but less so than if I could order from their pretty-pretty but not very functional wibble). Wonder how long until they start up a sparks-only channel, and what they'll call it (suggestions on the back of an NNTP packet please :-))

Reply to
John Stumbles

"Firstfix" :-))

Reply to
Mike Barnes

3x30 and 3x16 - just little ones!

And to other posts/comments:

Previously I have been impressed by their stock availability. That is why I didn't even consider checking for something as mainline screws. (OK Turbo Ultra are a bit special compared with Gold.)

Also - they are pretty close to me and I was going almost past them anyway - but yesterday I managed to hit rush hour. So I should have checked. :-(

I'll pick up that card next time. :-)

How about HotFix?

And when they have enough subsidiaries, they should rename their holding company ProliFix.

Reply to
Rod

The T shirts are good. Mine hasn't shrunk in the wash

Reply to
stuart noble

ventilation products is a fairly obvious next step...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This is not how to use screwfix, IMHO.

Clearly the management thought there was some benefit (for them) in opening up Screwfix counters. Unless the counters have the same sort of stock reliability as the online next day service then they are a chocloate teapot AFAIC.

I can put up with the next day aspect for the online service but if I have to go shopping then the advantage is lost.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I was pretty happy with the pre-counter (and pre-Kingfisher) Screwfix. But, seeing as they exist, I do use them pretty much like any other shop.

I'd be a lot happier if I could check online - don't really want to have to ring them up. Unfortunately, there are few stockists of stainless screws, and even fewer at sensible prices and the sizes I wanted!

Reply to
Rod

"Airfix"

no, wait...

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not sure, but many common items seem to be permanently out of stock at my local trade counter. It seems odd that I can gt safety helmet, boots, gloves and jacket in my size without problems but a box of screws or some roofing bolts seem to be beyond them unless pre-ordered.

Reply to
Steve Firth