Screwfix, get in quick...

Well as they said their site was up this morning ok. I thought I'd risk it, figuring the backlog must have gone by now. Put together most of an order, left it to come back later, bugger they closed it again for anymore orders today. Though it says they will be back up later for orders for Wed delivery.
I guess it's better than taking orders they won't be able to fulfil on time
--
Chris French, Leeds

www.toolstation.com.
You know it makes sense!
;-)
Christian.
P.S. I bet with the number of screwfix customers' business they must be getting at the moment, they'll be a bit busy in the warehouse department themselves...
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:36:44 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

The catalogue inventory is at about the level Screwfix were a few years ago. They currently have a minimum charge amnesty.
The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I gave up keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a few things are only done by S/fix :-(
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
<snip>

Makes one wonder how the F*** we all managed before the internet came along....
Are you seriously saying that you can only order some products from an online mail-order shed ?

It's a question of time, and fitting the most things into it in the most effective way.
We managed without mobile phones as well but they have become a valuable tool for most people to be able to organise their work more effectively.
The internet and mobile phones are like sex. Before you've tried them, you wonder what all the fuss is about. Afterwards, you can't live without.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And just like sex, some people become manic about them and want to do were ever, when ever....

While I use the internet heavily I've really never found much use for a mobile phone. I have one and it gets used about two or three times a year (yes, really!). For that reason I have it on a Virgin PAYG account so it costs nothing when I don't use it.
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote in

Me too, mine is strictly for emergencies, and is always switched off unless there's family trouble about.
I call my answering machine occasionally to keep the account alive.
I hope I never use it, the only numbers in it are breakdown insurance and next of kin,
I'm totally baffled by the mobile phone culture - except for tradesmen, and I even know one who won't accept calls on his mobile, they cause too much disruption to earning a crust.
mike
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:22:41 +0000 (UTC), mike ring

For some people, especially kids, it's certainly cultural.
It's an important business tool as well. I spend a lot of time travelling around the rest of Europe on business and it has become a pretty essential tool to maintain contact with business partners and customers by voice, text message and even internet connection when there is no alternative. Introduction of wireless LAN hotspots has made a big difference to staying in contact by email etc., and increasingly hotels have hotspots or wired high speed internet connections. Business applications have expanded to make use of these technologies so they become an essential part of daily life.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And I had you down as an electrician. International jetsetting electrician? Maybe not
Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:47:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) wrote:

Believe me, there's noting glamorous about going on aeroplanes and staying in hotels in other countries, Anna. The excitement of getting up in time for the 0655 to Frankfurt on a February morning lost its lustre long ago, if it ever had any. The choices are window or aisle seat on the plane (or centre if unlucky); trying to eat rather than wear what the airlines claim is food and then whether the bathroom is on the left or right when arriving at the hotel.
Having said that, I do enjoy meeting people in other countries and understanding their ways of doing business and outlook on life - so that compensates in some way.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

LOL OK you've convinced me! Funny how other peoples work always seems much more glamourous than your own. I've just spent two days on hands and knees crawling around in 20mm of accumulated dust in a church roofspace inspecting the ceiling below. I am filthy dirty and exhausted. Yet I get a steady trickle of people who email or phone me up wanting to know how they can do what I do for a living.
Do you ever get to see any old buildings in your travels? If so, have you seen any decorative plasterwork? I know Southern Germany / Austria has sgraffito and someone told me that the Algarve has pargeting, but I've hardly ever been to the European mainland in my life - always gone for holidays somewhere more exotic and 3rd worldish
The water should be warm now, so thankfully off for a soak in a hot bath
Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:03:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) wrote:

I guess that one's own chosen occupation seems easy to oneself and sometimes attractive to others.
Looking at your web site at some of your work, I can appreciate a real artistry in it as well as what I imagine is going to a huge amount of trouble to get the authentic and right materials for restoration.

I don't often have the time, unfortunately - mostly it's arrive at airport, go to meetings, go to eat, go to hotel, do emails, go to bed and repeat the next day with different people. Occasionally there is an opportunity though.

There is certainly a great deal of valuable architecture in Germany, and it is obvious as you move from northern Germany to Bavaria and further on - for example gothic churches in the north like the Dom in Koeln and onion-shaped domes in the south. I've never studied plasterwork in them, but my guess would be that it's more likely in the south to have ornate decoration - the northern ones seem to be much more austere. Possibly there is more around as you go further south that wasn't architecturally remodelled by the RAF.
I can ask some colleagues next time I see them as to where makes sense to go.
It might also be worth looking at places like Budapest. I am pretty sure that you would find interesting things there.

Well deserved by the sound of it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Oh thank you kind sir. You mustn't say restoration though it is a dirty word in the trade. Use conservation or repair

and lots of very good Swiss plasterers on their doorstep. Much of the finest plasterwork in Venice was done by Swiss plasterers

Much Polish decorative plaster was lost in the last war, but under Communism was restored to its original condition so there must be some excellent plasterers in Poland. Czech plaster is gently fading away I think and I know nothing about Hungarian plaster

And (getting hastily back to DIY) when I replumb the hot water system it will
a) Not get cold so quickly and b) Be switchonable from my mobile
Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:25:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) wrote:

Sorry. Presumably one shouldn't have been so remiss as to let it get into such a bad state in the first place.
But you also do new commissions as well, yes?

That I didn't know.

Mr Gabriel can offer advice on that.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
     snipped-for-privacy@kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) writes:

They've been having to replace lots of plaster damaged in the floods a year or two ago.
--
Andrew Gabriel

And not a multimeter in sight. Sigh. Another good pigeonhole bites the dust
Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:39:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) wrote:

Well it's not an entirely unjustified pigeonhole. In my early career I did electronics hardware, firmware and software design and development, followed by application work with customers for a microprocessor company. From that I moved into Unix systems and ultimately networking, which is really what I've done in different forms for the last 20 years.
Actually I'm not as cynical about it as the earlier comments imply. Each organisation that I work with has different requirements and aspirations, and the people are always different of course. Increasingly, hotels have high speed internet connections which means that in effect I can do pretty much exactly the same work and have the same business facilities regardless of where I am. That is a huge change over the last few years. Unfortunately in Europe these kind of facilities can be very expensive in comparison to the U.S. where internet access is included in the room rate. In Europe, 15-20 euros per day is typical and it can be as high as 10 euros for two hours in some places.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

O well thats a relief I'm not going completely bonkers yet

You have my great admiration! Back in the bad old days I used to do networking too, mostly Netware 3 & 4, but my new career suits me much better

I suppose that means you can spend your evenings posting newsgroup messages and suchlike which is an improvement of ways to spend the evening. Evenings in hotels used to drive me barmy with a choice of the bar and the TV. I even took up knitting
Where are you today?
Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:06:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@kettlenet.co.uk (Anna Kettle) wrote:

I can understand that :-)

In quite a lot of hotels, the owners are being smart and installing wireless access points only in the bar area.
So now you see people sitting with their laptops and writing emails over a beer or three.

Today I'm in the UK, at home, but in general you're right, VPN technology means that I can be pretty much anywhere and still have the same functionality.