Screwfix: Makita v. Site

Is this some con or genuine?

Reply to
Les Desser

They have another two,one Site and one Makita where the Site one is £40 ..can't recall what the Makita one is but they were also listed as "Same Drill Driver...Different colour "

I guess you know the Site ones are made by Makita? And the 10 % Discount e-mail is back out again Valid to Sunday 31st if you spend over £50.

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

how do you get this? I had a hunt around the voucher websites and found nothing.....!

I need to spend over =A350 at screwfix in a day or so...

:)

Reply to
JJ

Probably need to subscribe to Screwfix's e-mails .If you go to

down the left hand side and there is a link saying E-Mail Sign UP.....whetehr it'll get you the current e-mail I don't know and I also don't know if the discount code they give you is personal to the recipient .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

The Site SMB601 (just a drill/driver) is also on sale at the moment:

Reply to
Mark

The only obvious difference is the Makita has a spindle lock and one handed chuck, the site does not and hence has a two handed chuck. Nice deal with three batts though even if they are only 1.2Ah

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Anyone know if Makita and Site battery packs are interchangeable?

Thanks Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In article , Usenet Nutter Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:40:35 writes

I don't "know" other than they claim that.

Has anyone actually seen/used the Site version. Do they look/feel the same?

How "same" is "same"?

Reply to
Les Desser

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Are you seriously suggesting the Site ones are not made by Makita ?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Thanks Dave, that brings up another interesting comparison,

Adam Aglionby

In article , Usenet Nutter Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:35:16 writes

Not really but I am querying the implication that because they are made by the same company therefore half-price for Site must be a bargain.

Therefore I asked if anyone can confirm the degree of "sameness"

Reply to
Les Desser

So what did you mean by this when I asked if you knew they were both made by Makita ? Gave me the impression you didn't really believe it .:-)

"I don't "know" other than they claim that."

If you look at the specs you can compare them against each other .I have the £40 Site one as do a couple of others on here and it seems well thought of .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Are you seriously suggesting that everything badged by Makita is made by Makita?

As is pretty well known, the best Bosch stuff is the stuff that's made for them by Scintilla. Go back a few years and the AEG setup in Germany and the cross-manufacturing there made the old British Aircraft Corporation look simple. China today is even more complex. For another thing, the whole point with quality cordless drills is getting the motors from Johnson or Mabuchi, and the chucks from Roehm.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Makita pressure washers & vacs certainly aren't made by Makita, but I would have thought all the power tools were.

Makita make their own motors AIUI - thats how they started.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

- complete tool for less than replacement battery cost.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The spec is not quite the same, but seems a very good deal all the same.

Reply to
John Rumm

That still leaves critical things like the gearbox open to 'value' engineering. I had the misfortune to try and use a cheapy cordless drill a while ago when I'd left my ancient 18v NiCad Bosch at home. At the first sign of hard work what appears to be a clutch slipped inside.

It would have been quicker to use an old rawlplug hammer drill.

Reply to
Mike

Never had the actual motor fail on any cordless tool. Everything else - yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)