what happened to Oxyclean?

I haven't seen Oxyclean on supermarket shelves for a year or so. What happened?

I've looked up a material safety data sheet on the web, which states the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. I don't believe the stuff I used to buy (thick pink liquid in a spray bottle) had that composition - there was no chlorine smell on reacting with cat pee, it behaved like a peroxide solution.

I am wondering if (a) there was more than one formulation sold under that brand name, (b) one of them was mainly peroxide or a related oxidizing agent, (c) it's been quietly pulled off the shelves as a result of the "terrorist liquid bomb" bullshit.

Or is it still available somewhere? The only supermarkets I ever go into are Somerfield and Lidl.

Finally, any suggestions as to where I can get peroxide for neutralizing cat pee? I know how to produce it from basic materials but that's getting a bit messy.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === ==== Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739 557 CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

Reply to
Jack Campin - bogus address

You can still get a weak-ish hydrogen peroxide from chemists. Not expensive.

Reply to
newshound

Gives a whole new meaning to "Cillit Bang"

Reply to
Graham.

Last time I bought some H peroxide it was for medical purposes. And I bought it at a pharmacy. (Possibly even one of the ones mentioned as having been used by the bomb makers.) It was a couple of years ago, and things might have changed.

Reply to
Rod

Waitrose have it.

Reply to
Graeme Wood

That makes sense. Waitrose don't let riff-raff like terrorists shop there - they have to go to Morrisons. Or Tesco.

Reply to
teddysnips

It got even weaker just after the arrest of the terrorist plotters, some of whom were convicted last week.

Most pharmacies used to sell 5% or 6%, but it was reduced to 3%. Now it's back up there again.

Reply to
Bruce

Are you sure it wasn't sodium perborate? Lots of stain removers based on this.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It got oxycuted.

Reply to
George

What about LiDL's (and others') oxy-action laundry cleaners? LiDL's W5 brand says "> 30% oxygen-based bleaching agent, < 5% non-ionic surfactants, anionic surfactants, enzymes (protease)"

Reply to
John Stumbles

Laundry bleach is usually sodium percarbonate, which fizzes like peroxide, but comes as a powder

Reply to
stuart noble

STOP PRESS: Morrisons - £2-98 a pot with 50% extra free!

(Partner wouldn't take photograph for proof. :-( )

Reply to
Rod