leaking hot water cylinder

I am looking for a cheap way to temperarily repair a hot water cylinde

until I can afford to fit a new boiler and hot water system.Any ideas

-- manic-mechanic

Reply to
manic-mechanic

Where is the leak?

Reply to
Doctor Evil

car body filler, or glassfibre mat impregnated with resin.

I repaired a frist split radioator wiuth that once, and the odd car radiator too.

It won't work permanently, but it works for quite a time.

Needs a dry surface first tho drain and use hair dryer etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our snotty uni bodger is at it again.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

And the OP asked for a bodge, knowing he can't afford a proper solution.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Very helpful to the OP.

Since it's copper, it may be possible to solder it.

But TNP is correct - fibreglass will will do the job for a while.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , manic-mechanic writes

I did an emergency repair on mine with a silicon sealant which worked, this was for a corrosion split on the bottom.

Reply to
David

Assuming it is a smallish hole, say about 1/8th. inch, then take a two pence piece and bend it to roughly the same radius as the hot water cylinder. You will now have to drain the hot tank to a point that is lower than that hole. Clean and dry the area around the hole with wire wool. Now mix up some Araldite 50% to 50% and stick the rounded two pence piece over the hole using the Araldite. The Araldite should be left for 12 hours to cure. If you have the equipment you could soft solder the twoence piece in position. Clean the 2p. in Vinegar or Coke first.

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groups x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

manic-mechanic

cylinder

worked,

Polyurethane sealer would possibly be better than silicon sealant.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

cylinder.

That is a criminal act you know !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

They used to make minature Spitfires out of 1d. coins.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

Who?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Generally Royal Air Force Airframe Fitters, Spitfire Pilots, Flight Engineers and anyone who wanted to increase the face value of a 1d. piece.