Leaking cylinder coil

the cylinder coil on my water tank is leaking, I am told I need a new tank but can't afford this for a few weeks.

Is there anything I can do to stop the water overflowing the small water tank, will turning off the hot water and heating help?

thanks

Reply to
neilpackman

Water heaters sure are expensive. I replaced mine a couple years back. They had gone from $200 to $400 in wink of an eye.

If you shut off the cold inlet and the heat source, that should stop the leak.

Of course, that leaves you washing hands dishes and bathing in cold water. Is your water heater gas or electric?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bubba

k but can't afford this for a few weeks. Is there anything I can do to stop the water overflowing the small water tank, will turning off the hot water and heating help? thanks -- neilpackman

Is this an on-demand heater? I have never heard of a cylinder coil. If it is a regular tank with gas heat runing up the middle of the tank, or an el ectric heater where the heater element sticks in the side of the main tank, you can turn off the water going into the tank, and you must also turn off the water coming out of the tank to reduce the pressure. If you just turn off the input, if anyopne turns on a tap that allows the wold water to flo w into the hot line, that will pressurize the hot water tank from the outpu t side. I think that the on-demand heaters probably have the same situatio n, anything downstream form the heater that allows the cold water to backfe ed the hot water tank will cause the leaks to continue.

Reply to
hrhofmann