Re: Bit O.T. Speeding ... ?

You have mentioned that before. That why I slow down to a 95mph when passing them.

Reply to
ARW

I no longer have the detector. It certainly did pick up the active cameras on VSL motorways and there were not that many active cameras (but that was a couple of years ago).

Reply to
ARW

Was there actually a problem with the detection of speeding motorists switching lanes but instead a loop hole in the law that said the camera had to record you in the same lame for both "photos"?

Reply to
ARW

Ah well, to clarify ... all the gantries have brackets, about 1/3 of the brackets have "camera boxes" and external flashes, how many of the boxes contain cameras I don't know, may they have some decoys?

Reply to
Andy Burns

geoff wrote: [snip]

On a weekly basis, and err you're missing the fact that I designed the bloody things.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It was a problem with buffering the images that meant that only three cameras could be used at each site. Where there was a diverge you got 2+2 cameras and that meant a lane change would mean that the speed couldn't be measured. As I say, fixed long ago - about the time the Mail published their article.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , geoff writes

It seems to me that you might just as well stay behind Dennis or me:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Perhaps..

She just might re-think her workday. Is it really worth it risking not only losing her licence but risking a pile up pushing the legal limits?.

Surely she'd face either the sack or disciplinary action if she did loose the licence?.

What policy does the company she works for have on that if indeed they do have any do you know?.

Reply to
tony sayer

So why is what you posted so far from reality then ?

Reply to
geoff

Heres one that looks well "management"

What about the drivers "embedded firmware" that been upgraded in recent times;-?..

I suppose there'd be votes in that. I'd hope that they'd also introduce compulsorily checks as drivers age, and a "staged" driving test for young drivers...

Reply to
tony sayer

It wasn't. I have no idea what "reality" looks like in your world. Lots of pink trees and tangerine skies with purple polka-dots based on the last few days dribbling from you.

Driving along a road will tell you f*ck all about the telematics. Yet you seem to think it makes you an expert.

Reply to
Steve Firth

As they say - I know a man ... who regularly travels on these roads at speeds that you claim would trigger gantry cameras

Designed them? Yet another of your fantasies

Reply to
geoff

Tell me, what speed did I claim would trigger those cameras? Give a reference to the post.

I don't have fantasies. And you're just blowing it out of your arse because you're upset. Get over it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"but I have seen cameras flashing drivers exceeding 100mph in areas where VSL gantries exist but were not in operation."

Yes you did actually say you had SEEN them - not quite the same , but then you weren't giving a direct reply to what I said

"Also I used to work at the HA and was involved in planning the first controlled motorways"

which you then changed to "I designed the bloody things."

bit of imagination used there eh?

" in England do I know that the cameras were specced to be active 24/7."

- but that doesn't argue with what I said that they are only used in conjunction with the variable speed limit

Upset? I don't think so

caught you exaggerating - I do think so

Reply to
geoff

Some of it has been replaced by in-car firmware. ABS.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Steve Firth

Well, really your contribution to the thread was little more than a bit of c*ck waving and not really relevant to the points being made

Reply to
geoff

In article , Arfa Daily scribeth thus

Yes my 18 Y/O wants a car and to get a licence, it seems that I'm a tightwad with not offering to pay her insurance costs for her;)

Seems also that all of her mates are getting their licences and what's very worrying it seems the main concern is how Few lessons they can get away with before they get past the test..

When I were younger one of the good things that did happen is that you usually learnt to drive with your dad or uncle etc and spent a lot of hours out on the road practising and learning the things that perhaps a deriving instructor hasn't got the time to do etc and getting valuable experience.

One of her mates a young male had a puncture, didn't have the slightest idea on how to change a bloody wheel either, had to call the breakdown service!..

What was quite scary was that he didn't know why the car wasn't behaving as it ought, the flat tyre was driven on for some miles before the Wally got out to look!..

But this idea of passing a simple test then venturing forth on a busy motorway seems daft to me...

Well according to a friend of the wife's who does drive quite a bit in Germany the pile up's that do happen seem very spectacular compared with English ones;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

some years ago, our local paper reported a court case where someone was charged with 3 separate motoring offences which resulted in his disqualification: 1. Not showing obligatory red rear lights; 2. not showing obligatory white front light 3. not illuminating the rear number plate. The idiot had a single blown fuse and managed to upset the traffic patrol.

Reply to
charles

All you do is pick up the bad habits from years of relative's bad driving. My old man insisted on paying for pro lessons from an instructor he knew personally. Both the instructor and my old man were dead against the idea of rellies giving lessons. Given my old man's job involved high-speed pursuits and stuff like that, he probably knew what he was on about.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Personally I never found it a problem.

If you have some proper lessons early on, then its usually made clear very quickly what habits one should avoid picking up.

The big win with lots of driving practice outside of lessons is you get enough driving experience to begin to acquire road craft and an instinct for what other drivers are likely to do - things that only really come with hours behind the wheel.

Reply to
John Rumm