Lidl cordless SDS

Lidl have a 20v cordless drill today at 50 quid. Doesn't actually say SDS in the title, but shows and mentions SDS plus bits in the text.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tagline utility sunk?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If you watch the video, the bit change is ubmistakablt SDS

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Not sure I'd go with a cordless SDS - my mains Lidl'n struggles sometimes. Might make a good hammer drill though.

They've also got the workshop hoover - I've one of those, gets a lot of use. Beware trying to get spares, though. They've just replied to my request for dust bags and told me I need to supply this info:

· Permission to pass your details to our supplier · Are you in possession of your itemised receipt? · Date of purchase · The store you bought the item in · The product cost

I'd tried some generic bags but they rip.

Reply to
RJH

The chuck does the actual pneumatics does it?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Do you know of any drill which takes SDS plus bits but doesn't have the correct pneumatics? Can't really see why anyone would bother making such a device. A normal chuck is OK for a mechanical hammer action.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was in Lidl today, and had a look at this. I didn't open the box. I can report:

a) The box says the impact is 1 Joule, which is not very much. b) The box was surprisingly light. Considering the battery should weigh a fair bit, the drill must be pretty lightweight.

I'll be passing on this, as I don't think there's any point in an SDS drill that's that puny. But I expect somebody will be along in a minute to say they've just finished breaking up a six inch concrete patio with it.

Reply to
GB

Given the battery is the expensive bit, it's not surprising it isn't the biggest around. But then neither is the price.

Probably not given it was discussed earlier - no rotation stop. Not really surprising for a cordless tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You want me to name names?

You want me to tell you the names of any drills I know that have a chuck for SDS bits but are not SDS drills?

Can't really see why anyone would bother making such a

No?

WTF?

Is my name GB Lightweight?

You think I go to shops to make lists of electrical drills that are not SDS despite having fittings that allow you to use SDS bits?

Do you? Is that what you do, compile lists of defective tools? It never occurred to me anyone would want data that useless. Names of useless drills?

How about Charly? That's a goood name. Unless someone knows a better one? It wouldn't surprise me if there are people on here that name their drills that don't work very well.

Can you tell me the names of people on here that name their drills that don't work very well despite having fittings that allow you to use SDS bits?

Why don't we have a competition to find the best ones that don't work very well despite having fittings that allow you to use SDS bits??

Name That Drill lightweights that don't work very well despite having fittings that allow you to use SDS bits??

You can't make this stuff up:

I was in Lidl today, and I didn't open the box but I can report despite having fittings that allow you to use SDS bits? Or just I was in Lidl today but I can report?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You're rambling, but you seem to have an idea that this isn't an SDS drill. It clearly is.

I'm truly sorry now that I didn't buy one just in order to test it for you.

Reply to
GB

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No what you do is open the box and take a look at the drill and see where it says this is an SDS or whatever.

Hey you know what you could do? You could ask someone at the store. Does Lidle have managers or someone at head office that is familiar with Lidl products? Do they have a website or any of that sort of option?

Is it true that you bought a set of tungsten bulbs for your house because you like things dimmer?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Why bother? Nobody here but you doubts that it's an SDS drill.

You did understand the point about the impact energy, didn't you?

This is a DIY NG, so why don't you?

That's not even a good put-down.

Reply to
GB

Yes.

Yes. Oh - from a decent supplier like Lidl. Not something Ebay only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd have thought if a drill has an SDS chuck, that alone makes it an SDS drill, regardless of whether it has hammer or not, whether the hammer is electro-pneumatic or cam-driven, whether it's battery, mains or clockwork.

Reply to
Andy Burns

True - since SDS only actually refers to the chuck/drill. But the whole point of that is to avoid the drill slipping, as would happen with a standard friction chuck under heavy load.

Only some conspiracy theorist would think it worthwhile making a standard drill with an SDS chuck.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I remember when the IKEA battery SDS appeared, people were saying it couldn't possibly have "proper" hammer action, but it does, using the same sort of "tilted disc" mechanism to drive the hammer as the Makita HR24x0.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I doubt it.

They sell stuff cheap without having to answer any questions.

Reply to
ARW