Lidl LI 20V batteries

I see That these are on sale next week. I'm considering buying one with a view to modifying it to fit my 18V drills which have clapped NiCd. Does anyone know if these batteries have current and voltage discharge limiting built into them?

Reply to
Capitol

Hmm, 20V is a funny voltage for a lithium pack - it would seem to be

5-and-a-half cells. Unless it's really a 5-cell 18v pack with some added marketing (declare each cell to be 4v not 3.6v).

Ah yes, there's even a little graph that says so (p4):

I would have expected they would put the monitoring in the battery rather than the tool, especially since you could swap in a higher capacity battery. If it's the same as in the leaflet above, there's a button to get the battery state on the side - I'd be very surprised if there wasn't also a low voltage cutoff built in.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I would think that they must do. LI must be managed in this was to get any useful life. It would be very unusual to have it done in the tool in the tool.

If you got two batteries and chargers, you could cannibalise one charger for a connector to make the adaptor to your current drill(s)

If you are reasonably astute, this could be a cost effect approach.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

17 quid for a 2 amp.hr 18v and charger looks somewhat of a bargain.

I have the previous generation saw, jigsaw and drill that share the same

1.5 a.hr batteries, and spares for that were near 30 quid.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a new approach! Selling the tool without a battery or charger then listing them as a second sale. Its a pity they don't list batteries on their own separately as well.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes even my shaver has a low voltage cut off. Its bloody annoying as some days it won't start until you plug in the mains as obviously the starting current drops the volts too low but when its running you can unplug it and continue shaving! Bloody technology. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Me too - I bought a spare at the time. Two batteries have died, so I'm left with 2 batteries and 3 chargers. Batteries are £18.50 inc (I think) p+p:

RJH

You'd still be within the warranty period?

So far, I've not had a battery failure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, although I've yet to find the receipt. I'll give them a call anyway

- the batteries are date stamped, and about a year older (and with a different model number) than the other two.

Reply to
RJH

If you paid by card and can dig out a statement, I've heard they will consider this as proof of purchase. Combiner with the date stamp they can't really wriggle.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On the current offer the bare tool has the 3 year warranty, no mention of e xtended warranty for the charger and battery. It maybe that they have had a lot of returns due to faulty batteries. Mind you at the price they are sel ling the Chargers and batteries compared to more well known makes they can almost be considered a throw away item.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I wish you well - but I keep all such receipts carefully. (Just stuff them in a folder) But have never needed them - apart from one thing I bought which was dead on arrival.

Did the battery that died have what you'd consider heavy use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's good to know - thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some companies can be very helpful.

I don't know about Lidl, but I purchased an RAC OBD2 reader from Argos when my wife's Matiz had a problem and I needed to read it on a Sunday afternoon. Months later, I wanted to read codes off my Focus and found it said there were none, despite the MIL being lit. A check with a more sophisticated, but less convenient reader that I'd since purchased showed the codes.

I had no receipt, hadn't kept the card statements and had since had my card changed. I went back to Argos saying that as it could not read one of the most common cars on the road, it was not good enough and asking whether their till system kept a record of sales, but they only kept the records for 30 days. Despite this, they took the reader back, said that they could not refund the money under the circumstances, but gave me a credit note to the full value. Excellent service.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

A fully charged one of these 20v Lidl ones reads 20.9v off load.

The previous 18v type, 15v. All three of my spares, and all just charged.

Not quite sure what to make of this. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Went to my local Lidl to see if I could pick up a cheap impact driver, none left after 24 hours. I was passing another today, plenty of impact drivers and sabre saws but not a charger and battery about all sold out. Looks lik e they are going to have trouble shifting quite a bit of stock. Looks like somebody miscalculated selling the batteries and chargers seperate from the tools.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

My local Lidl only had a partial delivery. No batteries/chargers and not all the tools either.

It was only the sabre saw I was after, and another branch had plenty stock including batteries on Friday.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to RJH, Ilovealditools wrote: Read the warranty. Batteries are NOT under guarantee.

Reply to
Ilovealditools

replying to RJH, Ilovealditools wrote: Read the warranty. Batteries are NOT under guarantee.

Reply to
Ilovealditools

posted on June 16, 2017, 8:40 am

OK so its a post almost a year old, but nevertheless, I do not think one can say batteries are not under warranty, as it all depends on usage and indeed if they have been abused. Most things would last at least a year, but if it were five years, that is another thing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff