LIDl SDS Drill

Any opinions on this?

Arthur

There's a bunch of missing information in the advertisement.

They quote a power input and not a power output. This is meaningless because differing motor efficiencies result in widely differing output powers. Low cost tools are not renowned for having good motor efficiency.

There is no mention of the weight. Typically, entry level SDS machines are quite heavy. That's fine if it's what you want, but a

4kg SDS drill without good motor power is going to be a pain.

They have been factual, but misleading about the price differential. You can get one of the mentioned Bosch drills for about £100.

When budgetting for this type of tool, consider it to have a lifetime equal to the warranty. It is unlikely that there are repair facilities or spares. A £50 price point is above that for the real entry level which could be argued to be disposable and quite close to getting something a lot better.

One can get a Bosch PBH2200RE for £90 or a Bosch Professional GBH2-20SRE for £80.

If you want something rather better for lots of work, then there are a whole bunch at just over £100.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

going to spend £50, might as well spend £90 and get a pro machine from a known manufacturer (e.g. 500W blue Bosch), or a little bit more and get a DeWalt.

Reply to
Grunff

Got an SDS Drill from Scewfix the other week £29.99, cheaper than hiring one, selection of bits were another £17.99. Have only used it for drilling

16 14mm holes in concrete, but it worked fine.

Ash

Reply to
JA

Don't consider this a recomendation, but I saw a "budget" branded SDS at makro the other day at 12.95 + VAT including tools! It does make you wonder how you can produce even a poor product at that sort of price point.

Looked like the first incarnations of the NuTool - i.e. dodgy roto stop selector and no safty clutch!

Reply to
John Rumm

DeWally?

Reply to
IMM

Why do people insist on paying for a name?

Reply to
blah

How about the 11 piece SDS drill set they're offering at £4.99, are they likely to be any good?

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman

having said that, I have generally found lidl "Parkside" power tools to be mid range, in terms of quality. ime, they certainly don't qualify for "entry level" status.

Probably the best thing to do is go and have a look and make your decision based on actually seeing the tool.

I'd be interested to find out who actually makes Lidl power tools as they obviously don't make them themselves.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Yeah, it's the same one being sold all over the place under various badging.I bought one just less than 3 years back and only last week did it fail - hammer action packed up. Pretty good though considering I abused it to high heaven.

Does anyone read Which! Magazine? They just tested some Jigsaws and the £90 DeWalt didn't come out too well. Even the £19 Wickes rated higher (with the exception of endurance of the motor) and the £15 Power Devil had a higher rating in quality of cut! Makita came out on top and Metabo and Bosch also did well.

Reply to
StealthUK

My Dad bought one of these the last time they had them. I haven't used it but it looked nicely made and he seems quite chuffed with it. It might not be as solid as my Kress(?) made Wickes SDS but that was £135 a few years back. I suppose that being Lidl it has a 3 year warranty in which case I would say it's pretty good value.

As for all this "if you're going to spend £50 then you might as well spend a £100" then all can I can say is, what a load of old bollox?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Obviously someone who uses a lot of tools then...

Reply to
Grunff

Obviously someone who uses a lot of value tools then.....

Sam

Reply to
Sam

If you are spending £100 then buy two if they are well made.

Reply to
IMM

But the question is, how many more value tools would need to be used?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Maybe it's my level of skill but I tend to find I can only use one tool at a time.

I'm sure though some of the smartarses on the group could use two SDSs at a time -one in each hand - professional range only mind.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Pros can use one on their..........well, you get the picture. Great for low level working!

Reply to
EricP

That's understandable if you view Kress as being solid.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall