Lidl Cordless Circular Saw

Gave it a bit of a hammering today. Cutting 15mm Contiboard. I'd guess the very thin blade is easier on the battery. Wonder how well it will last. But a very useful tool for when cordless is handy - like putting up shelves in a lockup garage with no power. Was quite surprised how long the battery lasted.
--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 00:48:44 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Did you find it 'strange' how quickly (if not surprising) it went from 'running perfectly' to 'dead' (assuming it happened like that with you), or are you just more familiar with Li-ion powered tools than me?
I was working in Mums garden with the circular saw, jigsaw and drill (Lidl) and whilst I had power out there (I needed it for the belt sander) it was nice to be free of power cords (as I was reminded several times whilst using the belt sander) and none of the tools seemed to struggle.
I think I might look for a finer blade for the circular saw as daughter and I used it on some (old) polycarbonate sheet and it was cracking and splintering quite a bit.
Cheers, T i m

It's the same as other tools in that range that use the same battery. My guess is it's to give the battery a longer life.

Yes - obviously it's a general purpose one. Not sure how easily you'll get a 'thin' one to fit.

--
*IF A TURTLE DOESN'T HAVE A SHELL, IS HE HOMELESS OR NAKED?

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:21:35 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes, probably (over)discharge protection of the cells etc. It's just it went from what sounded and felt like full power to off with no warning (slowing) at all.

I was thinking more 'fine' (as in teeth) than 'thin' Dave, assuming there would be one with the right size (diameter and hole)?
Cheers, T i m
Li-on batteries must not be over discharged and protection is usually built in to prevent that. The result is that unlike NiCads which exhibit a taili ng off of power Li-on devices tend to stop suddenly this is true for my Dew alt combination drill and a floodlight I have.
Richard
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 12:39:04 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
Funnily enough, I posted a question about that whole area recently because of a Li-Ion battery pack I was trying to fix for a friends friends scooter.

Yes, that is what I was experiencing (and haven't done so in such a marked way before. Even my Stanley FatMax Li-Ion drill tails off slightly first).

Ok, thanks.
Cheers, T i m
On 31/03/2016 20:05, T i m wrote:

My Hitachi 18v SDS and 18v Combi Li-ion do that and it mentions it in the instructions. They just stop dead to protect the batteries.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

The blade on mine seemed a lot thinner than similar mains saws I'd seen, so wondered if this was how it managed a decent battery life?
--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 00:14:55 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

That's a thought ... doing less work be removing less material?
Cheers, T i m

Yes. But I'm only musing. ;-)
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

They do make thin kerf blades to extend battery life. IIRC DeWalt do them.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Also creating less sawdust. For portable saws the problem would probably be the possibility of binding although with anti kickback and safety clutches in more expensive saws that may be less of a problem.
michael adams
On 01/04/2016 12:13, michael adams wrote:

My AEG mains circular saw doesn't have a riving knife, but that never seems to cause a problem. Perhaps modern TCT saw blades are less subject to kickback?
It doesn't have a safety switch either, where you press a button before you can pull the trigger. You just pull the trigger, which is in a separate part of the handle.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

They're likely to be, because the teeth are usually a lot thicker than the body of the blade. Basically they stick out. Howver I'd imagine theres only so far you can go with that if you want a thin but rigid blade. Basically they'll probably stick out a lot less, if at all, with a really thin blade.
And also kickback won't be a problem providing you keep the saw straight in the cut rather than twisting it. Although if you know what you're doing, and know what forces to expect its possible to cut (fairly wide) curves in sheets as well. Not that many people would need to.

Best to make sure you keep it straight then.
Rather than slicing your leg off, a wrist injury as it flies out of your hand, is the more likely outcome. Don't ask how I know that. And whatever you do, never tie back the blade guard with a bit of string.
michael adams
On 01/04/2016 13:17, michael adams wrote:

I always make sure I'm never behind the saw, always to one side.

You don't tug on Superman's cape You don't spit into the wind You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger And you don't mess around with Jim
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman