Haircut for a doormat - how?

Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave enough for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the large (1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the front right hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to have the joiner plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not then fit so well along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30 section of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious ain't the word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

Thanks

David

Reply to
David

Hair trimmer on an electric razor?

Reply to
Andrew May

Turn the doormat round so that the high bit is elsewhere?

mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks, but it's the well that is higher in the corner nearest the door, not the doormat that is thicker.

David

Reply to
David

Hmmm, that's an idea if I can get one reaonably cheaply. You've made me think of trying a disposable razor now... (makes mental note to ensure it is thrown away afterwards).

Any other ideas folks?

david

Reply to
David

================================== You could try an electric hedge trimmer if you've got one.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You could try a carving knife - might not work but you never know...

Reply to
Mogga

Perhaps an orbital sander be able to quickly "wear" down the relevant area. Especially with a coarse sanding disk. I bet that would work quickly and effectively.

Reply to
David in Normandy

You can get doormat in different thicknesses to match the thickness of different fitted carpets. When I had a carpet fitted ~7 years ago, the fitter ordered a piece of dormat exactly the right thickness to match the carpet height, which he then cut to fit the frame. I've no idea where you might get this, but a carpet supplier might be a good starting point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Something like this? (I assume it is like spiky hair not tight woven because of your scissor attack)

you use a guard it will give an even finish.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Graham.

LOL !

Reply to
Franko

You could always dig out the bottom of the matwell and re-screed it so that it's level ?

Reply to
Franko

Grind the well down then.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Thanks guys.

The goat - disadvantages with the cat and the garden (and the goat stand), but carbon-wise...

The =A36.99 hair trimmers might be worth a go, so long as I'm not tempted to try to save money on haircuts afterwards (those childhood memories...)

Hedge trimmer - might need to wait until I'm alone in the house. Orbital sander likewise.

Different thickness of doormat. Looks like the perfect solution.

Dig out the mat well/grind the well down. Good to see the UK D-I-Y logical tool of Occam's angle grinder is applicable.

Thanks again

David

Reply to
David